Emily (XI)

I wake up and James is no longer in bed. He really took the whole waking up before my parents thing seriously. I look at the clock and it's... still three in the morning? Where has he been at this hour? I hear a small noise coming from the open window, but I don't know if I really heard it, or if it's sleep that doesn't let me know what's really going on.
- James? - I whisper, loud enough for him to hear me if he's outside.
- Emily? Did I wake you up? - she asks me, looking out of the window.
- No, no, no. What are you doing out there? - I ask.
- Nothing... to think about, I guess.
- You have to sleep... did you text your mom that you were going to be here? - I ask, getting out of bed a little dizzy.
- Yes...
- "Yes?" I ask, as James helps me onto the roof.
- Okay, no... I don't want them to think I need them for everything... And after everything my dad said, I don't want to make it worse by saying I'm with you. No offense...
- No, of course not. But your mother is a good person, you can see it in her eyes and how she looks at you. She must be worried. - I say, hugging her torso and laying my head on her left arm. - Your body is great... to warm me up... it's cold outside...

  I wake up and find my legs intertwined with James'. I turn to my left, where the bedside table is, and the clock strikes six in the morning. My head hurts and I'm very sleepy. James wakes up and looks at my legs on top of him. I take them off immediately and apologize.
- It's all right. - he says, yawning.
- It's just that I'm used to being in this position with the pillow when I have my period and...
- What time is it? - he interrupts me.
- Six. - I reply. - Weren't we on the roof?
- No!? - he replies. - Why?
- Oh, you're welcome. It must have been a dream.
- I'm joking. - he tells me, smiling. - You fell asleep on my chest saying that I was all good.
- I didn't say anything. - I feel myself blushing. - You're joking, aren't you?
James gets up and leaves the room laughing.
- You are, aren't you?" I ask even louder. I can't believe I said that. It's not a lie, but I look like I've been offered something.
  Shortly afterwards, James arrives with his hair done and approaches the chair with his clothes on.
- Can you give me a ride to school? That way I don't have to bother my mother. - I ask.
Meanwhile, James takes off his pajama pants and turns to me to answer:
- Yes, of course. Since we're going the same way.
Our eyes meet and I look away immediately, blushing.
- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to...
  I hear him trying not to laugh. He did it on purpose. I'm going to get even. I open my shirt halfway, pull it down behind my shoulders and head for the bathroom. As I leave the room, I try to see out of the corner of my eye to see if James is looking at me. It's confirmed. He's staring, so I let one out:
- Wipe the drool from the corner of your mouth.

  We both go down to have breakfast and see that everyone is already seated.
- Good morning, loves. Did you sleep well?" I said, giving my parents a kiss and ruffling my brother's hair.
James greets my father and brother with a handshake and my mother with a kiss on the cheek.
When we're all sitting down, my mother asks:
- And where did James sleep?
- On the sofa bed.
- On the puff.
We say it at the same time.
- On the puff-shaped sofa bed we have. - Let's correct ourselves immediately. I feel myself blushing and that doesn't help.
- You could have given me the other one, which is more comfortable. - replies my mother.
- We were sleepy, Mom. We didn't think about it. - I say.
Just when I thought we'd got away with it, my brother lets one out:
- I happened to wake up in the middle of the night and heard noises coming from Emi's room.
If I had the chance, I'd kill him here and now.
  My father seems to get nervous, but my mother tries to calm him down by holding his hand. I'm blushing more and more and I don't know what to say.
- Mr. and Mrs. Castle. I think noises is too strong a word for the noise I made when I woke up in the middle of the night. - says James, calmly putting his hand on my back. It feels good. - I hope I didn't wake you.
- Just kidding! - says Jonathan Castle, responsible for my near heart attack.
  My father smiles immediately after hearing his son admit that he tried to kill his sister in front of the whole family.
- Of course it is! James didn't even sleep with me for anything to happen. - I say, staring at James. Clearly, we're trying not to laugh.

  We made up for it on the way to school, where we couldn't stop laughing and remembering how we had almost been killed by my brother. Luckily, it was a joke, but he was almost right. I really don't know what I'd do if it was for real. Right now, I'd crawl into a hole, if there was one.

  There are still a few minutes to play inside when we arrive at the school. As we enter the grounds, James stops walking and gives me a hug.
- What's wrong? - I ask.
- I'm going to the living room. - tell me.
- No. -I say, pouting. - Come with me to the lounge.
- Okay. - he says, holding out his hand and letting me pull him over.
  When we get to the table where Ron, Lis, Rick, Jenny and some of my classmates are, we greet them and Lis asks:
- Friend, are you going to the camp?
- What camp? - I ask. I have no idea what she's talking about.
- Haven't you heard? Marie has organized a camp for our class and one or two students who are going to take part in the theater.
- I didn't know, I want to go then! - I say enthusiastically.
  I look at James, who seems a little sad that I'm not going and, when he sees that I'm looking at him, he gives a big smile. I don't want to make him uncomfortable, so I'll pretend I haven't noticed and then I'll talk to him.
- When is it? - I ask.
- Then you complicate my situation... I don't remember, friend. - Lis replies and turns to her boyfriend, interrupting the conversation he was having with Rick. - Baby. Baby! Look at me.
- Yes?
- When is the camp?
- November 14th. - report.
- Okay, fourteen. Are you coming? - she asks again. She's really excited.
- I don't know, girlfriend. I have to talk to my parents. But I'm going.
- Wouldn't you like to come too, James? - I ask him. I'd like to get to know you better. It would be perfect.
- It would be funny, but I can't. - Answer. - I'm not in your class and I'm not in the theater.
- You're not, but you could be! You can always apply to be the main character, which nobody wants to do.
- No... never... never. - he says, pausing dramatically.
- Why? I think you could represent well.
- On what basis? - he asks me.
- Nothing, but I think so. - I reply. He'll try to get in. Even if it's the last thing he does.