Chapter 16

We sat and ate our food in silence for a couple of minutes, both giving off nervous energy. What the hell does he have to be nervous about? I could see out of the corner of my eye that he kept looking over at me, trying to get my attention. I tried to focus on my food whilst I attempted to figure out my thoughts.

Before Ri had come back, Dex had apologised if he had said anything that may have upset me and I appreciated that. I knew he was just looking out for his friend, but his comment about rules and Ri getting in trouble had lit my brain on fire and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Was he going to get in trouble because of me, because of what we'd done, for spending time with me? I didn't want to be the reason he got into trouble. But selfishly, I also didn't want to lose....whatever this thing was between us. Bloody hell, Lex you've only known him for like 5 minutes and spent one night with him and you're already going on like it the end of a great love saga, for fucks sake, I scolded myself. I sighed and shook my head, trying to pause my internal monologue.

His knee nudged mine playfully. "What, you don't like my cooking or something?" he joked.

I snickered. "I'd hardly call this cooking, but, no, it's fine. Thank you" I replied, still not looking in his direction.

"Good, because I can actually cook, you know. Proper food, not this kind of cooking. I really enjoy it and the boys love it when I cook for them. Maybe....I could cook for you sometime? If you want me to, that is?" he asked, shyly.

I lifted my eyes to look at him, a little shocked that he was offering to cook for me. Does that mean he wants me to stick around? "Is that allowed? I asked, before realising how dumb that sounded.

He chuckled at me. "Yes, Lex, eating is allowed. What, you think we're not allowed to cook for ourselves or something?"

"No, well obviously you are. I meant, wouldn't it be against the rules for me to spend time here and have you cook for me? Wouldn't you get in trouble for that?" I responded. Jesus Lex, could you sound any more stupid right now? What's wrong with you?

He sighed and stirred his food with his chopsticks, frowning down into the food. He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something, but stopped himself. He tried again, but still said nothing. Then he shook his head and began eating again.

Well done Lex, now he's mad. I looked back to my own food and started playing with it, instead of eating it. How did we get back here, being awkward with each other again? Ah that's right, I made it awkward, as per usual. Can't keep a good thing going, can you? I realised I was stirring the food vigorously, scraping the chopsticks along the bottom of the plastic tub.

His hands suddenly appeared on mine, one taking hold of the pot and the other holding my chopsticks still. "Lex, chill. Let me take this from you before you stab a hole in the tub and splatter the contents all over my floor" he said, taking the pot from my hands and placing it on the floor, next to his own. He held my hands instead. "How about we try and talk about this? Tell me what's going on in your head right now and maybe I can help end the senseless violence against the ramen".

I smiled weakly at his attempt to lighten the mood. " Ri, I..." Just fucking say it and get this over with, then you can get back to being a lonely hermit again. "I just... Oh fuck it. I shouldn't be here. I know I shouldn't be here with you. I understand if you need me to leave now. Or do we have to wait until everyone is asleep to sneak me out? I guess I can wait and then get a taxi home.."

"Lex, slow down. What are you muttering about? Why do you think I want you to leave? I've never said that. I want you to stay, what are you talking about?" he answered.

"Yeah, but that was before I knew you were going to get in trouble for me being here. Dex said Noah is mad at you and you're breaking the rules for me. I'm coming between you and the boys already. And you'll get in trouble with your company if they find out and.." My breathing started to speed up. Shit, please not another panic attack. Not again, this is exhausting. Calm the fuck down Lex, now. Don't start this again. Breathe.