c29

29 the tears

Rosalie looked at the abundance of the different dishes lined up in front of her on the long wooden table and could not help but feel her stomach clench in a familiar pang of hunger. The sight was impossible to resist.

The long, ornate dining table was adorned with a lavish feast befitting the generosity of the host. Hearty roasts of succulent venison and tender boar were served, garnished with fragrant herbs and accompanied by rich, savory gravies.

Platters of fresh-caught trout and salmon, delicately seasoned and grilled to perfection, added a touch of Western oceanic delight.

An array of colorful salads, bursting with crisp greens, seasonal vegetables, and drizzled with homemade dressings, offered a refreshing contrast. A variety of bread, still warm from the oven, complemented the meats and salads perfectly.

To quench their thirst, the dishes were complemented with fine wines, mead, and ale, served in intricately crafted goblets, adding to the grandeur of the feast.

Yes, it was a feast, not a simple dinner. There was absolutely nothing simple about it.

Shocked and enchanted, the girl looked back at Damien, who had been carefully and somewhat anxiously observing her reaction. She raised her eyebrows, her beautiful pink lips parted as if she were a flustered child. The duke found her emotional response confusing, thus, he curled his lips into an awkward smile and said,

"I did not know what kind of food you prefer, Lady Rosalie, so I asked the cook to prepare everything. I hope you will find at least something to your liking."

His words made Rosalie somewhat sad once again, the man was showering her with care, while all she could do was take. Of course, it was her plan from the start - to do everything she could in order to survive against the novel's plot. However, she still could not help but feel like a useless parasite that had attached itself to a fat animal, leeching off its delicious blood.

'Perhaps it's the original Rosalie talking in me, but I cannot help it - I feel like a worthless parasite.'

Lady Ashter let out a long exhale and smiled, a shade of embarrassment veiling over her face,

"What do we do, Your Grace? I think this is way too much, any food is fine, you should not have bothered to this extent. In addition, I do not eat much, therefore, such abundance is really unnecessary."

At that very moment, Damien's face instantly grew dark, and it seemed as if the light had been sucked out of the dining room itself. He fixed his burning golden eyes on her slim frame, and clenched his fists, his knuckles turning white, and his nails digging painfully into the rough skin of his palms.

He recalled touching Rosalie's wrists and fretting that they might snap from his mere touch. Why was she so thin? Was she not properly fed back in the Ashter manor? Was it her brother who did not allow her to eat in order to preserve her figure? He had heard of many families starving their daughters to keep them slim, but Rosalie was already skin and bones. It was infuriating, yet heartbreaking, and he could not suppress his frustration no matter how hard he tried.

The girl cast another somewhat timid look at the duke's frowning face and decided to hesitate no more - he seemed to have been upset by her reaction, and she did not want to test his kindness any longer by being ungrateful for his effort.

"I apologize, Your Grace! I will eat now!"

Rosalie swiftly picked up a silver fork, stuck it into a piece of rather unfamiliar meat and colorful vegetables, and put it in her mouth, downing it with a generous sip of white wine. Her desire to show Damien her appreciation took over as she began to frantically chew the food, but suddenly, she stopped as if her body was frozen, while the duke widened his eyes out of utter shock, nearly jumping to his feet.

"L-Lady Rosalie! Why are you crying?!"

The man's body was now trembling for an entirely different reason.

'Is she feeling sick because she felt that I was pressuring her to eat? God damn it, I cannot seem to do anything right!'

Damien was about to call for help when Rosalie finally wiped her tears with the long sleeve of her blue silk dress, turned around, and replied in an unexpectedly warm voice,

"Your Grace... What do I do? The food is so delicious, I got tears in my eyes."

"What?!"

Duke Dio had no idea he could ever feel so flabbergasted in his entire life. He returned to his seat and watched as she kept sobbing quietly, nearly inhaling the food, and the heavy feeling of uneasiness finally began to dissipate. A feeble feeling of unfamiliar happiness and warmth curled his lips into a faint smile as one lonely thought crossed his relaxed mind - Rosalie Ashter was unbelievably cute.

"I had no idea His Grace was so fond of you, My Lady! In all honesty, I thought I knew everything about you, I was a little hurt!"

Aurora pulled the hairbrush away from Rosalie's slightly damp hair and feigned a pouting expression, but seeing her over-the-top acting reflecting in the large vanity mirror only made her lady laugh. And that was her actual intention.

The maid took a few thick locks of the girl's wavy hair and deftly resumed gathering it into a loose braid.

"You know, My Lady, when I was in the coach with the duke, I thought the tension would crush me, yet, every time he spoke to me, his words were filled with kindness. I guess you were right after all - he is nothing like the rumors say "

Rosalie nodded silently and looked at her own reflection. While Damien learned to live with his curse, it was still his most vulnerable spot. Therefore, he found it more beneficial to stay away from others and let them fear him because, even though he was of royal blood, he was nothing but the loyal guarding dog of the Imperial family, and being cursed was considered his biggest advantage.

Once Aurora was done with Rosalie's hair, the girl lay down on the bed and opened the soft flowery blanket, inviting the maid to join her.

"How could I, My Lady! They have already prepared a bed for me and you definitely need to get as much rest as possible! Good night, Lady Rosalie --"

She could not finish the sentence as Rosalie pulled her in by the arm, making Aurora lose her balance and fall right onto the bed next to her lady, who then skillfully tucked her in and snuggled up next to her, resting her head on the maid's shoulder.

Unable to resist such affection, Aurora hugged Rosalie back and planted a light kiss on her forehead, her face lighting up with a kind smile.

"All I ever wanted was for you to be happy, My Lady. I will pray that you will find that happiness here, next to His Grace."

For a while, she listened as Lady Ashter quietly snored into her shoulder, then gently stroked her porcelain cheek with the back of her hand and smiled again, her heart brimming with love.

"Sweet dreams, Lady Rosalie.".