c150

Decision to leave

"How do you intend to help me?" Rosalie asked, still confused and doubtful. Each word they exchanged seemed to make things more complicated.

Altair's demeanor shifted, becoming calm and steady. His voice was now firm and confident as he continued,

"To help you, we must leave Rische."

The duchess couldn't hide her shock, her mouth hanging open in disbelief.

"Leave? And go where?"

"Izaar."

Rosalie fell silent again. It was the second time someone had mentioned Izaar as her destination. It felt like more than a coincidence; it seemed like fate was guiding her there, offering a way out of her troubled life.

"Why Izaar?"

In response, Altair pulled out an old, worn piece of parchment from his long coat. He unfolded it carefully and showed it to Rosalie.

"My father knew more about demons and their deals than anyone in Rische. I found this among his papers."

Rosalie took the paper and tried to read the strange writing on it. But her confusion made it hard to understand.

Seeing her struggle, Altair took back the paper and pointed to some sentences marked in red. He explained,

"Amarath, who lives in Izaar, is a demonic judge."

"A judge?"

"Yes. According to my father's notes, he helps people change the terms of their deals with demons if he thinks their case is worthy. He might help you save the child."

"A demonic judge..."

Rosalie mumbled the words, staring at her feet. It sounded unbelievable, but she felt a glimmer of hope.

"So, how do we find this judge?"

Altair shook his head. "I don't know. My father's notes only mention Amarath briefly. But I think the people in Izaar might help us."

Izaar was a mysterious place, welcoming people from all walks of life and ensuring their freedom. It was the most peaceful realm on the continent, despite its secrets.

Rosalie wanted to believe this new path, but she still had many questions.

"Why are you so invested in helping me, Altair?" she asked, her eyes fixed on him.

Altair hesitated, shifting slightly in his seat. He had thought about telling her the truth—that his love for her was deep and that he couldn't stand to see her hurt. Love had taken root in him, and he wanted to honor that feeling until the end.

But the practical side of him knew that revealing his feelings would only make things harder for her. So, with a heavy heart, he changed his story.

"I used to think my purpose was to achieve some great goal. But as I got closer to you, as I saw your strength in the darkness around you, I realized my own life had no real meaning. Rosalie, I want to change that. I want to do something important. I want to be like you. I just... want to die as a human, not as a monster," Altair said.

Rosalie felt her heart break again. These weren't Altair's words. They echoed what Damien had said to Evangelina in the novel, when he bared his soul to her, asking her to believe he was worth saving. She had always thought those words were the saddest she had ever read, and it hurt deeply to know that someone else was trapped in a similar curse.

Even if his curse was self-inflicted.

Thinking about Damien’s well-being led Rosalie to an important realization about their previous Acme exchange.

'What if Damien has another seizure? The High Priest’s powers aren’t enough, and like on the battlefield, he might be bedridden for weeks. I can't watch him suffer like that again...'

Almost as if he could read her mind, Altair frowned and let out a short, frustrated sigh.

"You need to focus on your own well-being, Rosalie. If we proceed carefully, we should resolve this quickly and return. Assuming Amarath is willing to hear us out."

Rosalie nodded in agreement.

"Should we go with the Izaarian delegation then?"

"No, there isn't enough time for that," Altair replied with a heavy sigh. He ran his long fingers through his hair before explaining, "The delegation leaves tomorrow. The Demonic Cult plans to attack the Imperial Palace right after they cross the border. It's best for us to leave during the chaos."

"So soon... it's all happening so soon."

Seeking to reassure her, Altair gently covered her small, pale hand with his own and offered a subtle, supportive smile.

"If you leave suddenly, the Crown Prince might grow suspicious of both you and the Izaarian delegation, possibly linking you to the uprising. To be honest, our initial plan was to implicate Izaar in helping the revolt. So, if we leave separately, we might avoid dragging another Empire into this."

Rosalie looked away, understanding Altair's point. Disappearing during the chaos could make it seem like she was taken by the Cult. With Altair using borrowed demonic abilities, crossing the border unnoticed could indeed work.

Taking a moment to steady herself, Rosalie prepared for her next question, knowing it was crucial to her fate. When she felt ready, she met Altair's gaze and asked with determination,

"So... When do we leave?"

"In three days. Stepping down from my leadership role, the Cult may require extra time to reconsider their tactics. However, I doubt we will be afforded any more time than that. I will make my exit from the temple first, awaiting you in the northern forest. Once the Demonic Cult launches their assault, the Grand Duke will have to depart to defend the Imperial Palace. That will be our opportune moment to depart as well."

Rosalie pressed her hand against her chest, keenly aware of her racing heartbeat pulsating beneath her skin.

Three days. Merely three days remained for her to make the most difficult decision of her life.

The decision to leave..