c28

28 pleasant surprise

Rosalie looked at the dress brought in by Richard spread carefully on the bed a somewhat plain summer dress with no underskirt, made of sky-blue silk, ornamented with white flowers and silver thread embroidery, with a finishing touch of an in-sewn fabric corset, fastened from behind with a long silk ribbon.

'It is definitely one of the dresses I have already worn... This is the dress retrieved from the Ashter residence.'

When Richard informed Lady Ashter that His Grace had returned and invited her to join him for dinner, along with bringing her an older dress, Rosalie was taken aback. While she felt a sense of happiness, knowing she would have an alternative to her current attire, she couldn't help but feel burdened by the fact that Damien had gone through the trouble of visiting the Ashter manor solely for her convenience.

'Truthfully, I would rather be shameless enough to simply wear one of his shirts every day than have him visit that Hell hole for my sake... I will have to thank him and apologize for all this trouble.'

One of the duke's maids, who had been sent to Rosalie's bedroom, stood behind her and inquired if she was ready to change. Suddenly, a dreadful realization struck her like an earthquake-had she known that Damien would visit her family, she would have asked him to bring back Aurora with him!

"I was so preoccupied with my own selfish thoughts that I completely forgot about the only person who has shown kindness to both me and the original Rosalie. I don't think Damien would want to return there just for one maid. I'll have to figure this out on my own!"

***

As Rosalie walked down the hall on the second floor of the Dio mansion, a strange wave of sadness overcame her, tightening her chest. The overwhelming beauty of the interior surrounding her seemed to exert almost tangible pressure, and she could not shake the feeling of being out of place.

"Rosalie is breathtakingly beautiful, and Damien's maid did an excellent job preparing me, yet I still feel like I do not belong in this grandeur. Even the velvet upholstery on the couches looks more elegant than my dress."

The thought of appearing inferior to the furniture was disheartening, but it did not waver her determination. After all, one's worth was not determined by their clothing alone, and gaining Damien's favor was evidence of that.

Lady Ashter stood before the entrance to the dining hall, taking a deep breath in an attempt to calm her lingering anxiety. There was still a faint unease that settled within her whenever she had to face the people gathered in this place. Perhaps it stemmed from her introverted nature or the lasting effects of the abuse she had endured, causing her heart to flutter at the mere thought of social interaction.

With a final exhale, she nodded faintly to Richard, who responded with a kind smile and opened the tall white door, extending an invitation for her to enter. Clutching the soft folds of her dress between her thin fingers, she lowered her head slightly, mentally preparing herself to greet the duke with the appropriate level of courtesy.

"Good evening, Your Grace. Thank you for inviting me to dinner."

The girl raised her head to complement her modest greeting with a grateful smile when her entire body froze as if she saw a ghost, her eyes big and round.

"Aurora?!"

Aurora was definitely the last person Rosalie expected to see that evening, but it was, without a doubt, the most precious surprise.

The maid nearly jumped on her lady, wrapping her arms tightly around her shoulders, embracing the girl in a familiar warm and affectionate hug, and whispered, her voice on the verge of breaking,

"Thank you! Thank you, My Lady! Thank you for rescuing me from there! I will never forget your kindness."

Aurora kept quietly expressing her gratitude, while Rosalie widened her eyes once again and cast a bewildered look at Damien, who had been observing that heartwarming scene this whole time.

Overcome with uncontrollable emotions, Lady Ashter smiled and mouthed a silent "thank you", which made the duke blush and awkwardly avert his deep golden eyes. Seeing her filled with such happiness brought a sense of relief to him - he hadn't overstepped any boundaries. He had made the right decision.

The peaceful atmosphere was interrupted as the doors to the dining hall swung open once again, and the kitchen maids entered with trays filled with delicious food and refreshing drinks. Aurora finally released her hold on her lady and spoke, her lips forming a gentle smile,

"Oh, I am interrupting your meal, My Lady! Please, enjoy your dinner, and I will see you again for your bathtime!"

Not giving Rosalie a chance to reply, the maid bowed her hand first to her, then to the duke, and exited the room along with the rest of the staff, leaving the two of them alone, surrounded by a rather awkward atmosphere.

The girl took her seat next to Damien and after a few seconds of hesitation decided to break the already-growing silence,

"Thank you, Your Grace. If only I had known... No, never mind! Thank you for bringing Aurora here, you have no idea what it means to me. I will never forget your kindness and consideration. I mean it."

The man raised his eyebrows, not expecting Rosalie to be so impressed with such a simple act of kindness. It was rather embarrassing, and just as he was about to interject and stop the flood of gratitude pouring from her, Lady Ashter continued speaking.

"I mean, I didn't even ask you to do that, and yet you still did it. I keep receiving things from you, Your Grace, and I feel like I have nothing to offer in return."

Damien was about to disagree with her self-deprecating remark, but Rosalie interrupted him once again.

"I wonder if my family caused you any trouble... If they did, let me apologize for that as well. Aurora is a meticulous and hardworking person, and her absence would be noticed there. But please rest assured that she will never cause you any trouble here. I will take full responsibility for her!"

Damien let out a tired sigh and covered his eyes with his large, calloused hand. It was clear that there was no point in stopping her from apologizing and thanking him. Therefore, he decided not to add fuel to the fire and kept Raphael's resistance in letting the maid go a secret from Rosalie.

The dining room fell silent again, and Damien noticed that Rosalie's shining grey eyes were fixed on his frowning face. He cleared his throat, attempting to shake off the awkward feeling of appearing grumpy or unwelcoming. Then, he gestured towards the dishes lined in front of them and spoke somewhat briefly,

"Well, yes, you are welcome, Lady Rosalie. Now, let us eat.".