c148

What should I do?

Several days had passed since Rosalie had woken up, but she remained hidden within the comforting walls of her bedroom, refusing to see anyone or leave the room. Even Princess Angelica, who kept trying to visit her, had to leave for the Swan Palace, driven by her duties to the Izaarian guests still in Rische.

The duchess blamed her isolation and sadness on a recent illness, often complaining of headaches and constant tiredness. Damien, her devoted husband, accepted her explanation without question, quickly instructing the entire household at the Dio mansion to stay away from his sick wife unless she called for them.

Deep inside, Rosalie's true despair and anxiety came from realizing her own situation, coupled with the disturbing lack of any clear direction on what to do next.

Upon discovering Evangelina's absence from the story, a spark of hope ignited within her, stirring the possibility of finally finding happiness. She longed to share her life with Damien, determined to stay by his side forever.

Yet, recent events had turned everything upside down. Married to Damien Dio and carrying his child, she now faced the terrifying prospect of giving up her precious baby to Asmodeus, the very being who had set this twisted fate in motion.

The situation had become unbearably confusing, leaving Rosalie's tired mind tangled in doubts and fears.

"Damien... Does he even want this child? He always acted like it was just the two of us that mattered. But even if I put that aside... What will happen once the baby is gone? People will start asking questions. This isn't just dangerous for me but for Damien too. What should I do?"

She gently placed her hand on her flat stomach, closing her eyes to process this overwhelming news. Her? Carrying a life inside her?

Despite the chaos, a strange sense of comfort and rightness lingered. After all, the baby was a precious gift from the man she loved with all her heart. A gift from the man whose love consumed her entirely.

So, what path should she take?

A sudden realization flickered in Rosalie's mind, making her open her eyes again. She withdrew her hand from her stomach and hugged a large, soft pillow tightly.

"The Izaarian delegation... Rostan had invited me to go with them to Izaar. They might be getting ready to leave... Should I go with them?"

It seemed like a crazy idea, but it wasn't entirely without sense.

Resting her chin on the soft pillow, Rosalie whispered,

"I could go there and stay until I find a way to protect the baby or... let it go."

She hugged the pillow tighter, the thought of giving up her child making her sigh deeply.

"But nine months is a long time. Damien and Angelica might come visit me, and that could cause problems... Ugh, what should I do? I feel so helpless; it's driving me crazy."

Her frantic thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the gentle creak of the door. Damien entered their private room, the only one allowed to come in.

With a worried look on his pale yet striking face, Damien approached his wife, kneeling before her. He pressed his lips to her hand, his voice trembling slightly as he asked,

"How are you feeling, Rosalie? Maybe you should lie down? I'm so worried about you."

Damien's pained expression tugged at Rosalie's heart, making it ache, and her eyes filled with tears.

Gently, she placed her free hand on Damien's messy hair, managing a faint smile.

"I'm sorry for making you worry, but I feel much better now. I promise."

Damien kissed her hand again, his voice now steadier,

"I'm glad to hear that. Someone is here to see you, Rosalie. It's Revered Altair. Though you asked for no visitors, he insisted it was important for your recovery. I think he might help too. What do you think?"

Rosalie hesitated. Talking to others felt overwhelming, but she sensed that the presence of the Temple representative, and a cherished friend, might bring comfort and calm her mind.

"Alright. Please, invite him in."

Relieved, Damien quickly stood up, crossed the room, and opened the door, inviting the visitor inside.

"Good morning, My Lady."

Altair entered with slow, careful steps. Stopping by her bedside, he gave her a faint, sad smile.

"I'm so relieved to see you awake, My Lady. Are you feeling better?"

Rosalie nodded, her wide gray eyes studying Altair's face, trying to understand the change in his demeanor.

"Thank you, Your Holiness. I am feeling better now."

"What a relief. I heard you didn't want visitors, but I was so worried. I believe my abilities might help even now. Would you let me try?"

Rosalie found herself agreeing.

"Yes... that would be fine."

Altair forced another smile but seemed hesitant. He glanced at Damien, who stood at the back of the bed, giving Altair a cold, almost hostile look.

Seeing Altair's unease, Rosalie turned to her husband, smiling slightly.

"Damien... Revered Altair and I need some privacy. Please, don't worry. It won't take long."

Damien considered refusing but decided against it, not wanting to waste Rosalie's energy on arguments. Reluctantly, he nodded to Altair and left the room, closing the door softly behind him.

Altair's pallid gaze lingered on the closed door for a fleeting moment before he cautiously settled beside the duchess on her bed. Locking eyes with her glistening gaze, he broached the topic with utmost gravity, his tone rendered remarkably somber and distant,

"Lady Rosalie, I... I am aware of your pregnancy."

Rosalie felt a chill run down her spine, her entire form trembling with fear. Her eyebrows furrowed, her lips parched as she barely managed to utter,

"...What?".