c95

A ruined Face

Laith stepped closer to the lady and asked politely, "My Lady, could we have a brief conversation, just the two of us?"

Rosalie hesitated, glancing back at the guest room door. She had promised Illai she would return quickly, and this unexpected interruption made her anxious. She didn't want to break the boy's trust so soon.

Seeing her inner conflict, Laith tried to reassure her. "Please, Lady Rosalie, I won't take much of your time. I would greatly appreciate it if you could spare a moment for me, just this once."

Lady Ashter couldn't ignore such a pleading tone, especially since Laith rarely initiated such encounters. There was a sense of uncertainty in his request, but it also intrigued her curiosity.

"Very well. Let's move to a more private place, then."

Laith led Rosalie to the mansion's library balcony, where they were enveloped by the elegant opulence of the resting estate. With a careful, almost hesitant manner, Laith closed the towering glass door, still maintaining a respectful distance from the lady. Although they were entirely alone and time pressed upon them, Laith found herself grappling with the words that had consumed her thoughts.

Finally, after a steadying breath and a subtle adjustment of her large black hood, she prepared herself for what seemed to be a daunting task and began to speak,

"Lady Rosalie, I wish to convey my deepest gratitude for the care you have bestowed upon the young child we rescued last night. Your unwavering dedication to all you undertake is truly commendable, and for this, I shall remain forever indebted."

Positioning herself squarely before Lady Aster, Laith executed an elegant bow, and continued,

"I acknowledge that I may be traversing a delicate boundary here, but given the uncertainty of His Grace's decision regarding the boy's future, I find it imperative to assert that this child simply cannot be left to his own devices. His prospects lie in shambles, and regardless of where his path may lead, his journey will be fraught with hardships unlike those faced by most."

Rosalie looked at the young woman with a confused expression, not understanding the somber words she had just heard.

"What do you mean? Why would you say that?"

With hesitant reluctance, Laith's gloved hands moved toward her face, as if she was reconsidering her next actions. Then, with a deep breath, she slowly removed her large black hood and lowered her black mask, revealing her face. A long pinkish scar ran across her youthful features.

Lady Ashter's eyes widened. Laith's appearance had never been described in the novel, and she had never shown her face to anyone except Damien and Felix after being rescued from the brutal gladiatorial arena.

She had not anticipated being taken aback by Laith's appearance, yet the undeniable truth remained - Laith was a vision of beauty. Her chestnut hair, trimmed short and straight, elegantly framed her face, meticulously tucked behind her ears, forming a captivating contrast against her lightly bronzed complexion. Her eyes, substantial and dark, bore a subtle umber luminescence, their depths illuminated whenever the caress of sunlight graced upon them. Even though her skin bore the enduring mark of a long scar, it was effortlessly overshadowed by the beguiling radiance of her unique, youthful features.

As Rosalie found herself entranced by the girl's striking countenance, Laith, possibly feeling a touch of embarrassment under the lady's prolonged, scrutinizing gaze, awkwardly averted her own eyes and modestly lowered her head. She continued to speak, her voice carrying a faint note of timidity,