𝙍𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 (17)

A white-haired man walked through the evening Enagawa, his hand on the hilt of his blade

A white-haired man walked through the evening Enagawa, his hand on the hilt of his blade. The floor creaked very softly under his footsteps as the sounds of the evening slowly descended to the ground. Evening birds sang softly in the garden, and the leaves rustled in the gentle, warm breeze as he opened the sliding door and bowed to enter the room.

His hands fell to the floor in front of him as he lowered his head to them for a moment. He looked up at the man sitting across from him:

"-Good evening, Oyakata-sama. I pray for your health."

The man smiled and looked at him with closed eyes. Although, of course, he could not really see anything.

"-Greetings, my child. I've been told you have something to tell me, and it can't wait long, not even until the Pillar Gathering tonight, related to the victory over the Upper Six in Yoshiwara."

Shinazugawa nodded quickly.

"-Yes, Your Excellency. I have a lot to tell you, and I think it's best not to delay."

Kagaya smiled and put his hands on his chest, coughing a little.

"-Tell me then, Sanemi. I am listening to you."

"-As you know, several swordsmen, my students, were sent on a mission near Mount Tanbo last night."

Ubuyashiki listened without interruption, his black hair blowing slightly in the wind.

"-They came to me this morning with a report. As they told me, when they arrived at the place where they had to rescue a little girl.

Her father had been attacked by a demon while they were walking home to the village, as reported by the raven Kasugai, the girl was unharmed and the demon was gone.
My students asked the girl, and she told me that she had already been saved by the swordswoman.
From the description of her appearance and the tsuba on her blade, it was the Moon Pillar."

Kagaya smiled gently in response, nodding slightly to Shinazugawa.

"-Isn't it great? The girl was saved, and everyone was unharmed."

But Sanemi lowered his head, nodding in disapproval
"-Oyakata-sama, I would have been happy with that outcome too, but that's not all I had to tell you. The girl also told me that the demon didn't notice her rescuer because she didn't smell human."

Kagaya was silent, and then listened to the sounds of the street, the leaves of the large trees rustling in the wind.

If only everything in the world carried the same peacefulness as this gentle breeze in the garden.

Then Shinazugawa came back again and spoke to him:

"-Thank you for telling me. I appreciate the efforts of all my children. I will think about what you have told me. You may go."

Shinazugawa immediately got up and left the room with a low bow.

And Ubuyashiki, turning his face to the wind again, was deep in thought.

Could Y/n, so diligent and calm, really be a demon?

And if she could change her scent, it must be a strong one?

He didn't want to believe it.

After all, if Y/n turned out to be a demon, that would mean she was a spy for Kibutsuji, what if she was really powerful, close to him?

The thought made him uneasy, and even sent a chill down his spine. Could Kibutsuji's demons have gone so far in concealing their nature? Was there really a demon visiting the demon slayer headquarters all this time?

Furthermore, no Kasugai ravens could have followed her, which had never happened in his memory, nor in the records of the demon slayers.

He wanted to try to ease the thought, and closed his eyes, listening to the wind. But then one thing he remembered made him open them and take a deep breath

"-Amane, please come into the room! We have something urgent to discuss."

Footsteps were immediately heard from nearby, and a few moments later, a white-haired woman opened the sliding door of the room, stepping inside.

The thing was, Kagaya remembered something. Recently, he had been able to use the archives of the Kocho family, who for some time had kept the records of the head of the Edo era organization in their library for safety reasons, and he had learned something.

The only time in history when Kasugai the raven could no longer follow his master was when the Moon pillar betrayed all the demon slayer corps and became a demon.

Upper Moon One,

Kibutsuji's right hand,

if in precise.

And knowing that Y/n knew shared all the Moon Breathing techniques with that man, not clarifying exactly her childhood story of mastering all of those...

It occurred to Ubuyashiki that he needed to act on all this from right now on.