𝙒𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙩𝙧𝙪𝙩𝙝 𝙡𝙞𝙚𝙨 (18)

₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

My eyes wandered through the infinite corridors, rooms, and stairs as I stood in the passageway of the infinite castle, trying to understand the reason for my unannounced presence here.

Usually, as far back as I can remember, the meetings of the Upper Moons were always convened only for extreme reasons.

He never liked unnecessary chatter and noise they caused. For centuries, he was always interested only in his own benefit and what could lead to it.

The only exception could be Y/n, probably the only thing—who did not fall into this category. It seemed, why would an immortal and almost perfect being need a descendant?

However, this was not my area of concern.

As for the rest, he always adhered to this rule.
Stay silent until ordered to speak. Do not take a step unless you are expected. Always act in his interest.

Subordination became a regular part of my life for many centuries.

But the only way to achieve a relatively better position was to climb the hierarchy—to earn a higher rank among others of my kind.

Become an Upper Moon and get as close to him as possible, gaining his trust to gain power—the only thing he demanded from all of us.

Become stronger to serve me better—thus he defined the meaning of our existence long ago.

And I did not object.

Until I saw Y/n for the first time. She made me feel something strange within me. As if a long-forgotten feeling of slight warmth and peace, every time her gaze fell on me. She truly inspired me with every look to become better. To train diligently, become stronger, so that one day I could defeat that... scum, Dōma.

Why a scum?

In fact, I don't really care about him. Let him live as he wants, as long as he is allowed to by him, and enjoy the fact that Y/n often chooses to spend her time with him. It seems he is good at entertaining her. But I taught myself to hate him.

Why?

The answer is simple. Anger is pure—a feeling that can lead very far. But to good or bad, if these words are even relevant considering the nature of me and other demons, depends on the channel in which to direct this anger.

And I decided to direct my anger at Dōma. For what? To defeat him in a duel and take his place as Upper Moon Two.

Of course, further on, I want to defeat the first Upper Moon as well... but first, Dōma. Now I need to concentrate all my anger on him if I truly want to defeat him. He, this fox, is not as simple as he seems. But that won't stop me. My blood is too hot.

But if we still remember the reason why we might have been gathered here, I thought, walking a bit forward, and standing right in front of the abyss of endless paths, illuminated by floor lamps, it's worth recalling the last time we were gathered without warning. Of course, I have a good memory, but not that I remember everything... wait a minute...

The last time we were gathered without warning was 113 years ago... when...

At that moment, my eyes widened, and I was overwhelmed with an emotion I couldn't quite describe. It was all it took for me to take a step further and jump.

...when one of the Upper Moons... was murdered.

₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

The black-haired woman exhaled with relief, setting her biwa aside as she rubbed her eye with her hand.

Ensuring that no one else was around— with the last strum of the instrument, the last remaining Upper Moon in here disappeared—she adjusted space of Infinite Castle and stood up from where she sat, quickly making her way to her usual place.