CHAPTER FIVE: THE BARE AND BARREN

"Can you believe this?" I mutter, slumping my back against a wall in Derek's loft, my arms folded tightly across my chest, as Stiles chewed on his thumbnail, pacing in front of the large windows, looking at the full moon

"Can you believe this?" I mutter, slumping my back against a wall in Derek's loft, my arms folded tightly across my chest, as Stiles chewed on his thumbnail, pacing in front of the large windows, looking at the full moon. I could see the tension in his shoulders, but it didn't make me feel any better about being left behind. "We're stuck here while they're out risking their lives. It's like he doesn't even trust me to help!"

Stiles glanced at me, a look mixed with sympathy and distraction, as he paused. "Yeah, I know. But at least we're not the ones in immediate danger right?"

"Immediate danger?" I scoffed. "I'd rather be in danger than sitting here doing nothing. He's treating me like I'm some delicate doll. Like I'm useless."

Stiles continued to pace, absently nodding. "Yeah, it does suck."

My frustration continued to grow. "I mean, Derek hasn't spoken to me in months and now he thinks he has the right to decide what I can and can't handle?!"

"Mm-hmm." Stiles murmured, clearly only half listening as he continued to pace, his mind seemingly elsewhere.

"He's such a dick." I shook my head.

Peter scoffed loudly, as he lounged on the couch a few feet away from me. "Oh, please. It's painfully obvious why you're so upset, Madison."

I shot him a glare. "And what exactly is that supposed to mean?"

Peter smirked to himself. "You're upset because Derek left you behind. It's not about feeling useless - it's about him not wanting you to come."

I felt a flush of heat rise to my cheeks. "That's not true."

"Isn't it?" He continued, his tone dripping in sarcasm, as he rose a brow. "I mean, you've clearly been pining over him for months.It's quite tragic, really."

My eyes narrowed. "Shut up, Peter."

"Is Erica really dead?" Stiles asked, stopping his pacing again, and I realise he clearly hadn't been listening to a single word Peter had said - and thank god for that. I tore my eyes away from Peter and looked over to my brother, my anger calming down.

I shrug. "I saw her body. She was dead."

Stiles continued to pace as he shook his head from side to side. "I just...I don't get the bank, though y'know? Like, why wouldn't they chain them up in some underground lair or something? They're an Alpha pack, so shouldn't they have a lair?"

I scoffed. "Stiles, they're werewolves. Not supervillains."

"Wait a sec. Wait a sec. Maybe they're living there, you know? Like, maybe the bank vault reminds them of their little wolf dens." Stiles exclaimed in excitement and I rolled my eyes. You can always count on my brother to come up with some ridiculous deductions.