[ 33 ] M E H E N D I C E R E M O N Y

It was evening, and the aunties were beating the dhol and singing Geet. Meanwhile, Geet's hands were being decorated by mehndi artists.

Her sisters and friends were busy with their mother, managing everything before the DJ started. After all, they were all tired, but they had to help because they would judge which performance was better.

"Go, go, come on Dmitry," Ivan pushed him forward. They were looking at her standing in the corner.

"Dmitry," his mother-in-law called out his name as the ladies were deciding which geet to sing. Dmitry was staring at his Geet, and they exchanged smiles.

He walked over to her. Her mother made him sit on the stool. He was getting shy in the middle of the ladies asking him to write her name on his hand. Lakshi, Saras, Yamuna, Ganga, and Aarohi reached there too. They sat on the mat.

"What do I have to do?" he questioned, looking around. His cheeks turned pink, and the ladies laughed at him for this. "You're already doing what you have to do, Damad ji," Lakshi's mother teased, sitting next to Aarohi.

"What do you mean?" he puzzled. "Staring at your fiancée," Saras chuckled. They all giggled while he lowered his head.

"Saras," Geet scolded Saras while glaring at him.

I was standing in the corner when my boys came over

I was standing in the corner when my boys came over. They all followed my gaze and started smiling. I glared at them.

"What's wrong? She's my woman, bro," I claimed, crossing my arms. I chose a green kurta with a red dupatta over my shoulder, which I took from her.

Like they applied it on her, it was done on my hand as well, but nobody was calling me. I was already feeling too shy to compliment her because everybody was there.

There were so many ladies plus my sisters-in-law. They tease too much. I can't end up embarrassing myself in front of everyone. Just then, my mother-in-law called my name. They pushed me toward them.

As I reached close to them, I could not take my eyes off her. That green color dress called lehenga, open hair with some floral jewelry, her hands empty because of the mehndi.

I was staring at her. My dream was so close to me. The way she was talking to them in her language was all adorable. Her face glowing, I could tell she was happy with all her heart. Like me.

I snapped back from my thoughts when my mother-in-law held my arm gently. I gazed at her, and she pushed me, making me sit on the stool. "Ab sahi hai," she said, but I didn't understand.

Geet smiled back and lowered her gaze. My lips curved more. Until my eyes fell on my sisters-in-law sitting on the mat. "What do I have to do?" I questioned, trying to hold back the smile.

"You're already doing what you have to do, Damad ji," her aunt chuckled, leaving others laughing. Geet smiled, hiding her face.

"Meaning?" I inquired, eventually, though I knew I had been caught, but what if I was thinking wrong. "Staring at your fiancée," Saras answered.