Chapter 9: Cat

For the first time in his life, Xie Jiaran was called out for not paying attention in class and made to stand as punishment, and it happened during a Political Science lecture.

It felt novel and a bit awkward.

Luckily, it only lasted five minutes. After class, he didn't forget to stop by the locker room to pick up his dirty clothes before heading back.

In the dorm, Li Tang and Shen Xuehao were both there.

The former was sitting on a stool, eating takeout while watching videos of his goddess. The latter was lying on his bed, lazily scrolling through Weibo, occasionally making a comment to Li Tang about something interesting.

Sometimes, university life is this dull, as boring and monotonous as retirement when there are no classes.

Xie Jiaran didn't have his campus card with him, so he went to the balcony first to put his clothes into a basin before going back to find the card.

After finishing his takeout, Li Tang threw away the trash and went to the balcony to wash his hands. He happened to glance to the side.
He froze, eyes widening instantly.

WTF???

Shen Xuehao was engrossed in watching a video when he was suddenly poked hard in the arm. He turned his head to see Li Tang standing by his bed, looking furtive and suspicious. He couldn't help but ask, "What's up with you?"

Li Tang shrank his neck, speaking in a mysterious tone, "Guess what I just saw on the balcony?"

Shen Xuehao, used to his dramatics, casually asked without taking his eyes off the phone, "Can't guess, what did you see?"

In the smallest voice but with the most exaggerated tone, Li Tang said, "I saw Xie Jiaran washing Liang Ge's clothes!"

"Huh?" Shen Xuehao finally showed interest, "What do you mean?"

Li Tang pointed towards the balcony, "I just went to wash my hands and saw Xie Jiaran putting his and Liang Ge's clothes in the same basin, ready to take them to the laundry!"

"How do you know those are Liang Ge's clothes?"

"That white shirt is very familiar; Liang Ge was wearing it when he went out today!"

"..."

Shen Xuehao was speechless, "Maybe you saw it wrong. In summer, guys' clothes all look similar."

"Is that so?"

"Probably. Don't overthink it."

That seemed reasonable.

Li Tang was somewhat convinced but still felt something was off.

When Xie Jiaren came back in, Li Tang sneakily glanced at him.

He saw Xie Jiaran walk past Liang Sunian's seat, then frown, go back, and compulsively wipe a few drops of water off Liang Sunian's desk with a tissue.

He paused for two seconds, thought for a moment, then took out two candies from his pocket and placed them on the desk.

Li Tang silently gasped, holding his breath.

When Xie Jiaran left the dorm with the clothes, Li Tang immediately grabbed Shen Xuehao's shirt excitedly, "Did you see that? Did you? I wasn't wrong this time, was I? Does this make sense to you? Does it make sense?!"

Shen Xuehao rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "It doesn't make much sense."

Li Tang felt more confident.

Driven by natural curiosity and a strong desire for knowledge, he eagerly watched the dorm door, ready to question Liang Sunian as soon as he came in with an ice pop.