Chapter 19: Rushing Over

After dinner, Xie Jiaran received a WeChat message from Liang Sunian, a photo of a cute cat lying on the ground with its face up, looking greedy.

Its fluffy belly was exposed for anyone to touch, curling its paws and squinting its eyes in contentment.

Xie Jiaran enlarged the photo, first taking a quick look at the kitten before focusing on the hands rubbing its belly.

Very fair, the bone structure beneath the skin was clear.

The fingers were slender, the nails neatly trimmed, even a casual bending motion looked graceful.

After a moment, Xie Jiaran closed the picture and replied slowly with "Very cute".

After a while, Liang Sunian replied. The first message was still a photo, and the second was text:

Liang Sunian: [See, I told you, this little glutton only goes for the good-looking ones O^O]

Still, it was one person and one cat, but this time, it wasn't just the hand that appeared in the photo, but the entire area from the neck to below the mouth.

The photo froze the moment the kitten held his cheek and nibbled on his jaw with its milk teeth, the slightly raised action making the jawline clearer.

Above were the joyous upturned corners of the mouth, below was the protruding Adam's apple, along with half of the rugged collarbone revealed because of the missing button on the white shirt.

This time, Xie Jiaran didn't even spare a glance for the kitten.

His gaze wandered over Liang Sunian's body, capturing images with clean and beautiful aesthetics, reminiscent of the black butterfly he saw while waiting at the doorstep in the afternoon.

If it could land on this collarbone and occasionally flutter its wings gently...

The artistically imaginative Xie Jiaran touched his slightly warm earlobe and silently saved this photo in the album, along with the one of stroking the cat's belly.

The other party seemed to be idle, engaging in superficial chatter with him.

Xie Jiaran could imagine his current state—surrounded by a group of addicted teenagers making noise, boredly holding the cat and watching game live streams, only occasionally sharing something interesting with him.

Xie Jiaran wasn't good at chatting and didn't know how to find topics, so he could only respond briefly to whatever Liang Sunian said, indicating that he was still there.

Returning with a backpack, there wasn't much inside except for the dorm keys and charger, and the notebook he bought at the school gate.

He spread the notebook on the table, but couldn't find the watercolor brushes he had left at home for convenience.

He searched through the drawer pen holder for a long time but couldn't find them, so he reluctantly opened a new box of paint.

Liang Sunian's message stopped at eleven forty-six, and the light in his room didn't go out until close to five in the morning.

He slept for about three hours, always disturbed by a black butterfly flying around in his dreams, and woke up feeling dizzy, like being thrown into a cloud hovering in mid-air, weightless and insecure, his blood stirred by gentle touches.

He sat up on the edge of the bed, taking a while to realize that his condition had worsened again.

Downstairs, children were screaming for ice cream, their voices still piercing through the door uncomfortably.