Chapter 37: Can I Kiss You?

They rested for a night at the guesthouse.

The heavy rain stopped in the second half of the night, and everyone got up early the next day.

The host sent a message saying his daughter would come over to collect the keys. Liang Sunian walked out to the balcony and looked downstairs. A little girl in a red sweater was squatting and watching ants.

He was almost ready to go downstairs when he ran into Xie Jiaran, who had also just finished getting dressed.

Xie Jiaran glanced at him briefly before quickly lowering his gaze.

He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hand, which were red with fatigue, looking drowsy and listless.

Liang Sunian rubbed his head, flattening a stray tuft of hair. "What's wrong? Didn't sleep well last night?"

Xie Jiaran put his hand down, thinking it wasn't just a bad night's sleep; he had almost been sleepless all night because of a certain someone. But he said instead, "No, just didn't get enough sleep."

Then he asked Liang Sunian, "Are you going downstairs?"

"Yes." Liang Sunian shook the keys in his hand. "The landlord's daughter is here. I'm going to hand over the keys."

He pointed downstairs. "There, see?"

Xie Jiaran followed his direction and saw the little girl in the red sweater playing with a small stick to tease the ants.

"I'll go with you," he said.

"Alright."

The little girl was no more than eight years old, with big eyes, rosy cheeks, and a chubby face, looking cute even when she frowned.

"I've been waiting for you for so long! You big brothers are so lazy, getting up so late."

"Sorry about that. We'll get up early next time."

Liang Sunian squatted in front of her to match her height and held out the key in his palm. "Keep it safe and don't lose it."

"I won't. I've never lost a key."

The girl took the key from his palm and carefully put it in her sweater pocket. She repeated her father's instructions earnestly. "When you're done, just lock the door and leave. Someone will come to clean up at noon, so you don't need to worry about the trash."

Liang Sunian smiled. "Got it. Thanks, little landlord."

"You're welcome." The girl's voice was still childish and pleasant. "If there's nothing else, I'll go now. My boyfriend is waiting for me at the breakfast shop."

"Boyfriend?"

Liang Sunian was surprised. "You have a boyfriend already?"

"Of course." The girl proudly raised her chin. "We've even kissed."

"..."

Liang Sunian's expression turned from surprise to astonishment, and even Xie Jiaran, who had remained silent, was taken aback.

The girl, thinking he looked too inexperienced, pressed her thumb against her index and middle fingers and touched Liang Sunian's face. "Like this. Haven't you kissed anyone before?"

"Oh," Liang Sunian said, smiling. "Kissed on the cheek?"

The girl nodded obediently. "Yes."

"Nope." Liang Sunian used an envious tone. "I'm not as impressive as you. I've never had a girlfriend."

The girl looked disdainful. "You're so lame, so old and never kissed."

Liang Sunian was left speechless by the little girl's disdain early in the morning.