Chapter 76 - Part 3

It did not take long for the crowd of the reporters to recognise the couple. 

Isn't he the young actor who played Hamlet at the Haymarket theatre? 

Terence Graham

The girl... the American girlfriend of the dead painter

The Scarlet Rose...

A general panic ensued. Constable Melvin Grable rushed inside the room, along several more police officers. Robert having leaned towards the Commissioner' ear, filled him in about the couple. Both men looked very stern. The attention of all the reporters had turned towards the back of the room. Terry stood up, carrying Candy unconscious in his arms. A flash bulb of a camera lit up. Terry's hands retracted to fists next to Candy's body, his face turned into stone.

Robert stood up. "No photographs!" He shouted. "Give me your attention, please."

The noise subsided. "This is the Scotland Yard Headquarters! Not a sidewalk vaudeville!" His voice cracked with anger.

"Constable Melvin! Why were they allowed to enter the conference room?!" Robert spitted the words through clenched teeth while he walked towards the police officer whose lips had turned into a tight line.

He then returned to the audience. "Constable Melvin Grable will fill you in with the rest of the report. He was with me, all through the operation. The Commissioner will remain for any further questions. You must excuse me for now. This lady needs medical assistance." He ended giving instructions and looked at Terry who didn't look like the man he knew. The dark pupils of his eyes had been dilated, turning his stare into that of a murderer. He was teetering at the edge of his control.

"Come with me..." He said with a quiet voice while they all left the room, accompanied by three more police officers who came with them, to assist with anything that was needed.

They entered Robert's office. There was a brown leather narrow couch at one wall, having paper files stacked upon it. A police officer cleaned it with swift moves, before Terry was able to let Candy rest on it. He knelt on the floor, just to be next to her.

"Water!" Another order was given from him. And something to put the lady's feet up, to allow the blood to travel to the head. "Please! And open a window! It is too stuffy in here."

There was a flurry of activity, happening all at once.

Terry wet her pale lips. It did not seem there was a fear for her life, but the shock of learning about Christian's death had resulted into losing her consciousness. He covered her cool forehead with his hand and whispered in her ear. "Freckles... I am here..."

He sensed Robert standing behind him. Apart from Candy, the police officers had left them alone in the room.

"I am sorry..."

"Sorry...?" With his back facing Robert, Terry repeated the Detective's apology, not letting his sight from Candy. Her feet were resting on a pile of rolled jackets, and the air had turned cool and fresh inside the room; her cheeks had started to take up some colour again.

"You should have arrested Christian when I came to the police station, that evening." Terry turned all of a sudden, and looked at Robert. "You had everything you needed from what my statement that night. He'd be alive now." He sounded guttural, the words struggling to leave his throat, fighting for air, simmering with anger.

It didn't matter to Terry if he was right or wrong. Or if indeed his statement that night was enough for mobilising London police to arrest Christian. It did not matter one bit.