Chapter 21

The air disappeared within the four walls of the gallery and what Terry wanted was not to smile at all...in fact he felt his jaw line tightening. He wanted to break the face of that smug bastard that was standing right next to him. 

The woman who had entered the gallery was the girl he had opened his heart to and  had loved like no-one else in his life. He had dreamed about her endless nights and  had allowed the madness of his fate to take her away from him. He had suffered a loveless life without her. She was the one who had slapped him and called him a delinquent for having dared kiss her one May afternoon, declaring his affection to her. Thoughts and feelings were crashing inside him with the speed and force of a deadly avalanche. Having his back to the wall sort of speak, Terry could do nothing else but to suppress the violent wave having risen in his chest. He  gave Christian a forced smile hoping he wasn't just baring his teeth to Candy's boyfriend. Why she had also changed her name was beyond his comprehension but he was certain he would find out at some point. 

He always felt alive in her presence. Having not seen her for such a long time intensified that a hundred fold. Every cell in his body was so charged, he felt like a live wire.  He made a conscious effort  to keep cool in front of her and Christian. Despite having changed a lot by simply growing up, he recognised her face from up close, that same face that used to look at him with warm shy eyes in a life which could be an old painting of its own. Now her glimmering gaze showed him different.

A new found confidence in her shone through.  The girl who had grown in a life that had served her too much bitterness for a single person, had managed to reach the other side a winner. She was taller from when he remembered her. Her blond curls were cut in a fashionable short bob close to her chin. Her skin was still peppered with freckles and her lips were the colour of a ripe autumn apple ready to be bitten. Her body was with curves at all the right places. She glowed inside a figure hugging, floor length satin gown with low décolletage. The dress was molding on her body like liquid silver, following her every step.

Candy had just entered the gallery

Candy had just entered the gallery. The air felt light when Terry turning his head to see her.  To say that seeing the one man she never thought she'd see again, the one who had never stopped peeking inside her head, standing there, next to Christian out of all people, surprised the living daylights out of her, would be the most definite understatement of her life.

For a moment, the thought to stop right there and pinch herself flashed in her mind. Terry's sudden presence in front of her had the impact of a car crash . The time past did nothing to minimise what she felt whenever his image filled her eyes. Even if he had changed. He was not the teenager who teased her anymore. He was a tall, elegant man with lean strong body. His blue-green eyes were more intense than ever, like tropical waters under the sun but holding the experience of life's tempests. His face was thinner revealing a magnificent bone structure with his dark long hair cut short, a surprise nevertheless, made him look even more of a man that she had ever remembered.