Chapter 34

28th of January 1897 (Friday)

Despite the late of the morning - the time was nearing close to midday - the woman who held this tiny baby in her arms, being all bundled and covered up, felt the cold to cling on her face like a second skin. Her quick breathing came out her nostrils like clouds inside the speeding carriage. Everything was frozen and quiet outside. Bathed under a glorious winter sunlight which despite its brilliance, it wasn't strong enough to thaw the frost which sparkled on the trees and the grass blades on the fields like myriads of minuscule diamonds.

The little baby kept quiet inside his blanket cocoon. So quiet in fact, that made Abigail Fowler quite nervous. Was he alive...Perhaps he'll die by the time they reach their destination. Newborns aren't really fit to travel and this one had only left the womb of his mother not more than two hours ago. She knew, she was there. She had helped the doctor, being one of the assistant midwives. 

She took a small mirror out of her dress pocket and put it right in front of his pink squashed tiny nose. Waited for a moment. When she saw the mirror fogging up, she let a sigh of relief. Soon they would be inside the train to London and it would be warmer there.

The confirmation that the baby was still alive brought however a new wave of guilt that stood in the middle of her throat like a stone, making it difficult for her to breath. Despite the dense cold, she felt the back of her neck damp with sweat. With a hurried move, she took out of her coat pocket a delicate pearl white handkerchief.

The guilt that was tormenting her there and then, had been born the moment this child had taken its first breath.

It was already planned from the start. She knew the doctor was to take this baby away from the mother. A young woman she was, in her early twenties, just like Abigail. Although there was where their similarities ended. That woman who Abigail only knew her as Mrs. Graham was a stunner. Abigail would have sworn, she hadn't seen any other woman so beautiful. Having a good nature to match her looks, made Abigail's task even the more difficult to excuse internally. If only her family didn't need the money, Dr. Gardner was giving her.

The newborn grimaced and stirred in her arms. He opened his eyes and looked at her. They were as dark as the waters of the North Sea were.  She felt as if she was examined by this dark blue stare. Instinctively she caressed his forehead and pulled down the tiny woollen hat, to cover as much of his face as possible. They would be warmer in the train to London but for now, she tried to keep him as warm as possible. She shouldn't feel guilty. This little boy would have a good life. He was going to have loving parents, who weren't blessed by nature to have their own. Instead, they would pour all their love to this little one, they were so desperate to have. The young mother...she was young...and giving birth in a secluded place such as the Old Vicarage...didn't spell a good fortune for her. She had seen those cases before. Impressionable young women with faces like a rose in bloom, blinded by Cupid's works, in love with some aristocrat more like, not believing their good fortunes...Abigail hadn't seen a husband there, a man even that was supposed to be her partner. There was no one. Mrs. Graham...she tried to hide it as best she could, but Abigail wasn't fooled. She could tell, she was being distraught, frightened. She was to give birth to twins. The birth as such wasn't to be an easy one as Dr. Gardner had informed her. One of the twins had turned the wrong way around and would need to be delivered in the breech position. He informed that the infant may not survive this ordeal but he would do his best...

Abigail had to admit, her heart tightened when she saw the expression of worry inside Mrs. Graham's eyes. But her contractions were shortening in frequency. It was one way from here onwards. The babies were coming. All they could hope for was for God's blessing and with the good doctor's abilities to deliver both babies safe.