Chapter 74 (Part 3)

Christian and Mr. Martin Brown entered the Grandchester mansion, following the lead of the head butler of the family.

He remembered the first time he had been there. Looking forward about meeting the Duke of Grandchester, having received his praise, feeling excited about the future. He side glanced the man next to him. He looked nothing of how he looked inside the taxi. Instead he seemed relaxed, with an air of outmost professionalism. Christian let out a breath of relief. At least he wouldn't have to worry about Mr. Brown causing any suspicions.

They stopped at the Duke's study. The butler opened the room and the three men walked in it. It was as Christian had imagined it. Masculine and rich, with the Duke's desk and the furniture in dark exotic wood and sharp lines. Top to bottom bookcases covering the walls with expensive books on their shelves. Thick Persian rugs covered the wood parquet floor.

The butler reached the part of the bookcase that was on the wall exactly opposite to the Duke's desk. He dry coughed and asked both men to look the other side, before he worked on the secret mechanism. Both Christian and Mr. Brown obeyed and turned their backs while Mr. O'Brian pushed back and pulled towards himself the part of the bookcase that served as a panel behind which a door was hiding. He unlocked it. A small square hallway appeared when he opened that door.

Moving as quiet as a mouse, Christian turned, seeing exactly what the butler was doing. Of course, he never stopped being intrigued by the various ways the rich chose to hide their valuable. In the cause of the Duke of Grandchester, it seemed that he kept his in a kind of a vault, behind the bookcase in his study. Christian couldn't help himself. He made a few steps towards the open door, just to have a better view. While the man was opening a safe that was build inside the wall of that small room, Christian noticed stairs at the back of it, going downwards.

Mr. O'Brian pulled out several velvet cases, stacked one on top of each other. With the Grandchester valuables in his arms he turned. His eyes met with Christian's who immediately turned away.

"I'm so sorry Mr. O'Brian!" He excused himself, sounding as innocent as a child. "My late father

-rest his soul-

He was a banker and I am naturally fascinated by private vaults!" He added.

The butler let the cases on the long table which stood between the men and the bookcase, used by the Duke for his private business meetings with his associates. He kept silent, while he shut the door and the bookcase back to how it was.

Then the two men turned.

"It is fine Mr. Blake. Despite you disobeying my order due to your natural inclination for things that remind you your late father, there is nothing I can do now. I will ask you however, to please respect my position in this house and do as I say while you are at the residence of the Duke of Grandchester."

"Of course! Absolutely! I apologise wholeheartedly sir! It won't happen again." Christian apologised with sincerity.

The butler could not do anything else. With obvious displeasure in his otherwise expressionless face, he reached the door of the study and pulled a cord next to the door. He then turned to Mr. Brown, who had kept quiet during Christian's indiscretion and the obvious reprimanding comment towards him from Mr. O'Brian.

"Mr. Brown, you can set up your instruments here, where I have placed the cases." He invited the man to come closer.

Mr. Brown thanked him. Walked towards the table and placed the bag with his instruments on it, before sitting down, in front of the stack of the velvet cases. He opened his bag. Took out a thick fabric case, kept rolled shut with a ribbon. He untied the ribbon and rolled it out. All kinds of delicate metal instruments were there, each inside a small pocket. They looked like dentist's instruments. Then he took out several magnifying eye glasses, used to check on diamonds and other precious stones.