Chapter 49

Through the tunnels of his madness, Hamlet had held the audience captive.

The indecisive youth, kept prisoner of his own words, contemplated the murder of his uncle but hesitated, while he rode the passion of his young age.

Terry navigated through every single feeling with superb control and grace.

Candy already knew the story of Hamlet but having Terry in the lead role had made it feel intensely personal. The kind of kiss they had shared a few days back while he had been in Hamlet's clothes added to that illusion. For those few hours, reality including Christian melted away, having left only her witnessing the story that was unfolding in front of her eyes but feeling at the same time being a part of it.

Was she Ophelia in Terry's Hamlet? Ophelia was part of a rich family and so was she. Even if it was by adoption. Despite keeping the surname, Pony had given her when they discovered her as a baby abandoned at the orphanage yard, and not using the Ardleys surname, she hadn't continued to dissolve the adoption. Albert's last wish was for her to remain part of the family. The only family he had left together with George.

Her relationship with Hamlet wasn't a straight forward one. No love was spoken in clear terms. Hamlet, though he wooed her with the honey of his words, confused her with his actions. Hadn't Terry been like that? Fear, fear held her back. The hurt she had suffered before, she had survived with everything she got. If she was to surrender her heart to him...and things wasn't to work out, how and where would she find the strength again to get over him for a second time...

When Laertes cautioned Ophelia about Hamlet's advances, Candy gasped.

Perhaps he loves you now,
And now no soil nor cautel doth besmirch
The virtue of his will;

but you must fear,
His greatness weigh'd, his will is not his own;
For he himself is subject to his birth:

He may not, as unvalued persons do,
Carve for himself; for on his choice depends
The safety and health of this whole state;

And therefore must his choice be circumscribed
Unto the voice and yielding of that body
Whereof he is the head. Then if he says he loves you,
It fits your wisdom so far to believe it
As he in his particular act and place
May give his saying deed; which is no further
Than the main voice of Denmark goes withal.

Tears threatened to blur Candy's eyesight but she fought them back. She couldn't afford to shed them now. The ghost of the late king haunted the dark fort. Having been seen by Hamlet's trusted friends, Hamlet became eager to see for himself. The moment it appeared before his eyes, none of his friends' hands could hold his body going forth.

HAMLET (struggles to free himself as his friends are holding him back)

My fate cries out
And makes each petty artire in this body
As hardy as the Nemean lion's nerve.

[Ghost beckons.] Asks for Hamlet to come close.

Still am I call'd. Unhand me, gentlemen.
By heaven, I'll make a ghost of him that lets me!-
I say, away!- Go on. I'll follow thee.

The spirit of his father speaks of murderous acts, the murderer wearing the crown of Denmark. Asks Hamlet of revenge.

GHOST

A serpent stung me. So the whole ear of Denmark
Is by a forged process of my death
Rankly abus'd. But know, thou noble youth,