Chapter 73 (part 1)

"Where love is great, the littlest doubts are fear; Where little fears grow great, great love grows there." 

Hamlet

~~~~~~

The air was knocked out from Terry's lungs, when he saw Christian's name upon that envelope. As if it was burned on its surface. He passed his index finger over it. The lines, elegant, clear.

A slight tremble run through his body.

Should he read?

In the time it took him to decide on that question which burned inside him, like a film reel, his mind rewound the time he spent with Candy the last few days;

Stopped at the exact moment he entered the train carriage.

Remembered the anguish inside her big green eyes-

"Where is Christian?"

"What have you done with him?"

"Oh God..."

The wind carried Candy's words. That day, on the train, Terry conveniently forgot;

It was Christian, she had waited for. It was him she was supposed to come to Barra with.

"I need to help him!"

He had run behind her in the narrow corridor of the carriage. To catch her before she would stop the train. Because she needed to go back to him...

No, he daren't read.

He got dressed. It was incredible to comprehend, how a small object like that had already infected his brain in such a rapid manner. Soon enough he could do nothing else but think and think and think of what was written.

He realised he struggled to breath. He tasted bile in his mouth. Grabbed the letter from the dresser and left the bedroom. Yanked the front door of the cottage open and stood there, looking at the ocean. A storm was brewing. The air was moisture-heavy. The wind had picked up. Took a breath straight away-

as much as he could. Gulped the cool air like a man lost in the desert drank the water.

Looked at the envelope once again.

He was at loss with himself-

with Candy-

with his feelings-

with what she had confessed to him she felt.

She had declared her love to him. He had believed her.

He wanted to believe her so, so damn hard. Like a man fighting in the middle of an ocean, he tried to hold on that belief. Afraid of the doubts that grew against his will, like those clouds above him which turned heavier by the minute, looking like they were ready to touch the ground; even if he fought against them, they threatened to suffocate him.

He would drown. He shut his eyes, trying to calm down.

Behind those closed eyelids of his, the lines of that letter were also taking shape in the darkness of his mind. Torturing him.