2

We were picked up by a very fancy towncar at the train station

We were picked up by a very fancy towncar at the train station. Both Alli and I struggled to hide how impressed we were. The driver took our bags and put them in the back, held our doors and made sure it was a pleasant drive the twenty minutes it took to get to Morgan's parents' house. 

'House' was not the word I'd use for it though. As we pulled up their driveway, I leaned against the window and stared at the huge mansion towering up ahead of us in the distance. The car glided along the sweeping stone driveway, flanked by a meticulously manicured garden. The scent of blooming flowers filled the air, mixed with the fresh, salty breeze from the nearby pond. The driveway curved gracefully, guiding us toward the front of the mansion, which gradually came into full view.

The mansion was breathtaking. The classic Hamptons shingle-style architecture stood tall and majestic, with weathered gray cedar shingles that blended harmoniously with the natural surroundings. Crisp white trim outlined the large, multi-paned windows and French doors, which reflected the shimmering light of the pond.

As we parked and stepped out of the car, I was struck by the peacefulness and beauty of the surroundings. The soft sound of leaves rustled in the breeze and the distant call of birds created a serene soundtrack. The driver and Morgan started loading our bags out of the car while Alli and I looked around the surrounding grounds. It was secluded from other homes, providing the family with undisturbed privacy. Morgan smiled at both of us, but it wasn't her usual radiant smile. She seemed nervous and a little on guard. 

"She's shitting bricks," Alli said through her teeth and made me burst out laughing just as the front door opened and an extremely beautiful and stylish woman came out. She opened her arms and said "Welcome!" in a very posh British accent. 

Morgan hurried ahead and hugged her mum. "Mum! You look magnificent," she said as they air kissed. She turned slightly on the steps and held out her arm. "This is Peyton, my best friend." 

I was good with moms and turned on the charm. "Lovely to meet you, Mrs. Stone. What an amazing place you have here," I gestured around us and flashed her my sweetest smile. 

"Peyton... It's a pleasure to meet you. You're so lovely," Mrs. Stone said and held my hands as she looked me up and down. I was wearing a very simple royal blue dress with no sleeves and a pair of white Converse shoes. "Blue is a good colour on you," she said and smiled, but there was a trace of annoyance on Morgan's face telling me that she probably didn't think her mum meant it. 

"Alli?" Morgan held out her hand and Alli carefully joined her. "Mum, this is Alli. My girlfriend," she had a determination on her face, like she wasn't going to accept her parents being anything but lovely to Alli. It was hard to imagine anyone could be anything but lovely to Alli. She was a sweetheart. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Alli said and held out her hand to Mrs. Stone. It took a moment before she reacted and shook Alli's hand. She smiled and nodded.