56

Harry and Morgan's parents invited the four of us out for dinner

Harry and Morgan's parents invited the four of us out for dinner. Harry had called them and told them about our engagement, and they congratulated us, seemingly okay with his decision. At least that was what I saw of it. If they said or did otherwise, I had no idea. 

I was getting ready in our bedroom, when I heard the front door slam shut. It startled me, and I very carefully peeped out to see what it was. Harry was pacing back and forth in front of the front door, cursing under his breath. He was very clearly agitated and upset. 

"Harry?" I called out carefully before I came into his line of vision. "Are you okay?" 

He looked up at me, and quickly smoothed over his shirt and smiled back. He wasn't fooling me though, something was bothering him. I went down the stairs even though I was still just in my underwear. I tip-toed over to him and wrapped my arms around his neck, making him look at me. 

"What's up, baby?" I said and gave him a reassuring look letting him know, he was safe to tell me whatever was on his mind. I smoothed his hair behind his ears and stroked his cheeks softly. 

He took a deep breath and chewed on his lip, like he was trying to find the words, or trying to rephrase whatever he was about to say. His hands wrapped around my waist told me that it wasn't about the two of us, but something else that bothered him. There was a hint of guilt or uncertainty in his eyes, as if he was bracing himself for my reaction. "Listen," he finally started, his voice low and hesitant. "My parents... they looked into you." He paused, swallowing hard. "A background check. And they don't think you're... suitable."

The words hung in the air, harsh and awkward. His grip on my waist tightened slightly, like he was afraid I might pull away. "It's not how I feel," he rushed to add, "but they— they're concerned about some things." He dropped his gaze, unable to meet mine, as the weight of the confession settled between us.

I nodded and gently nudged his chin for him to look at me. "We can't blame them for checking up on me. They're a big deal. Morgan and you as well. They need to know I won't just marry you and run off with their fortune. I can't blame them. I'll sign a prenup if that makes them feel better? Or is it my character they've found lacking?" 

His hesitancy to answer my question was somehow enough. They must have found out about momma and her business with men in our trailer. It was relatively easily found if someone did a checkup on momma's criminal record, which I assumed they had. There were hardly any limits to the information a powerful family like theirs had access to. 

"Peyton, they're wrong, and you know it. It's not a case of whether or not you're a suitable match for me. I would never feel this way about anyone else. You are my choice, and if that means stepping away from the family..." Harry squeezed me tighter, really wanting his point to come across. 

I smiled at him and gestured for him to kiss me. Somehow all concerns lessened when he was close and when his lips touched mine. In many ways it was like a band-aid on a scraped knee when you were a kid; it didn't remove the pain or problem, but it momentarily covered it, allowing you to focus on something else.