18

I woke early at the sound of an alarm

I woke early at the sound of an alarm. In my sleepy state I grabbed my phone and checked if I had accidentally set an alarm, but it wasn't my phone making the noise. I groaned and rummaged around my bed to find whatever it was that made the sound. I crawled down to the foot of the bed and just over the edge, on the floor in front of my bed, Peyton's phone was buzzing and playing some annoying, soft tune complete with bird song and flutes. She had forgotten to pick it up when she dropped it the night before. I swiped the screen, shutting off her alarm. The lock screen on her phone was a picture of Morgan and her, hugging and laughing. I smiled to myself at the look of them. They were dressed as pirates, Morgan with an eye patch and a plastic hook on her hand. Peyton was more of a pirate wench with a loose off-the-shoulders top and huge hoop earrings. There were a couple of notifications on her phone; a couple of emails, some app reminding her to go for a run, a couple of Instagram notifications and a message from Ethan. 

'Hope you're feeling better. I'm grabbing croissants and coffee from the diner and coming to see you. Be there soon.'

"Fuck," I cursed under my breath and rolled out of bed. I hurried out my bedroom to a completely silent penthouse. No one was up. I knocked on the door to the guest room a couple of times, resulting in Morgan yanking the door open. 

"What?!" She said as she rubbed her eyes. 

"Peyton's phone..." I whispered and held it out to Morgan. "There's a message from Ethan." 

Morgan looked at the screen. "Oh fuck... P?" She turned and looked at Peyton, who was just out of bed. She came up next to Morgan, looking very sleepy and extremely hot. She was wearing my Kiss t-shirt, her legs exposed and when she lifted her hand to run it through her hair, a tiny sliver of black lace was visible under the hem of the t-shirt. I swallowed hard and tried to avert my gaze. 

"What's up?" She said and looked confused. Then she looked at me, standing there like some Calvin Klein ad, wearing only my boxers. Her eyes skimmed down my body, but she quickly looked away when Morgan handed her her phone. She unlocked it and read the message from Ethan. "Oh fuck!" She exclaimed and walked back into the room. "I have to go," she said while gathering her clothes. 

"P, hey... it's okay. Call him and tell him you're out for a run with me," Morgan said. She walked over and made Peyton sit down on the bed. 

I stayed in the door, leaning against the doorframe with my arms crossed over my chest. I felt bad for Peyton, but at the same time I was so consumed by the way she looked and how badly I just wanted her to tell what's-his-name that she was otherwise engaged and then take her to bed with me.

Morgan gently coached her through the call. 

"Hey Ethan. Thanks for your messages. Yeah, much better. I'm actually on a run with Morgan. I won't be home until later. Can I give you a call when I'm back? Wonderful, talk to you later. Mm-hmm... yeah. Umm, me too." Once she hung up she threw herself back on the bed and laughed nervously. Morgan chuckled with her and for some reason I found it pretty hilarious too. "That was fucking stressful," she said as she sat back up and Morgan hugged her. She pulled back from the hug and gestured to Morgan that she was just going to have a talk with me. Morgan nodded and looked over at me, as if to remind me to be nice before I walked out to the living room and Peyton followed me.