63

I was sitting in a courtroom, my heart pounding and my hands sweaty

I was sitting in a courtroom, my heart pounding and my hands sweaty. I was extremely uncomfortable in the pant suit I was wearing, constantly trying to adjust the shoulders. Jones sat next to me and sent me a concerned glance every now and again. I drank a huge gulp of water from the glass he had placed in front of me, and tried to lean back and look calm and collected. I was not. Nowhere near it.

Alli and the guys were all sitting in the rows behind me for moral support. Dad's threats of going to court had finally been brought to life. Jones kept insisting that there wasn't a case anymore, especially not when Harry was awake. Still I was called in for a court appearance, and I would do anything to fight whatever bullshit our father was coming with.

The doors to the courtroom opened and dad's army of lawyers entered the room, followed by mum and dad. Mum waved carefully and sat down in the row behind dad and his lawyers. Dad looked over at me, but I quickly averted my gaze, looking straight ahead, refusing to give him the attention.

"All rise for the honourable judge Mathesson," the bailiff instructed, and we all stood up as the elderly gentleman entered the room, and took his place in front of us. He gestured for us all to sit down.

"Please be seated, ladies and gentlemen," judge Mathesson said and opened his huge folder filled with papers concerning this case alone. "I have been going over all the claims in this case. A young man has been in a terrible accident, and has been fighting for his life in the hospital. Prior to this, the young man has worked out his will and testament, adding a medical power of attorney. He was of sound mind doing so. Would the party of the plaintiff like to make their initial comments?"

One of dad's posse of lawyers got up and buttoned his blazer. "Yes, your honour. John Hammer, speaking on behalf of the Stone family," he said and stepped out onto the floor. It seemed a little excessive, and Jones scoffed under his breath at the dramatics.

"Your honour, the Stone family is a prominent family in matters of business, but it is also a family bound by deep traditions and influence. With their vast resources and longstanding reputation, they wield considerable power, both publicly and behind the scenes. They take good care of their own. This is a case of a father who has been denied the right to help his son. We have gathered expert testimony from medical professionals, psychologists, and those who have direct experience in such matters. These experts will demonstrate that the father's involvement is not only appropriate but essential for his son's well-being and recovery. This isn't just a legal battle-it's a family fighting for the right to protect one of their own when he needs it most. Your Honour, we ask the court to consider the human element in this case, the bonds that define a family, and allow this father to fulfill his duty to his son, by giving him medical power of attorney. Thank you," he bowed and went back to sit in his seat.

"Motherfucker," I mumbled under my breath. Jones nudged me and shook his head.

"Alright... Thank you," judge Mathesson said. "And the party of the defendant?"