45

Morgan and I exchanged a look before we entered Le Bernardin

Morgan and I exchanged a look before we entered Le Bernardin. It was like a silent signal between warriors getting ready for battle. We were going to walk in, heads held high, proudly showing off our beautiful girlfriends. 

Mum and dad were in their usual spot, and the hostess showed us to the table. They both stood up and mum waved happily, while dad buttoned his blazer, ready to shake hands and kiss cheeks. I squeezed Peyton's hand and kissed her temple before letting go of her for my dad to kiss her cheeks. 

"Peyton! It's good to see you again. Hope you are well?" dad said while he kissed her cheeks and took a step back to look her up and down. "My my, I had forgotten how stunning you were." He chuckled and winked at her, before he looked at me with a smirk on his face. "Good to see you son," he said and shook my hand, bringing me in for a hug. 

"You too, dad," I said and did my best to smile, but I knew it never really reached my eyes. Meanwhile mum hugged Peyton and complimented her on her dress and Peyton was quick to let all praise go straight to Alli. Morgan winked at Peyton when mum praised Alli for her impeccable taste and great eye. 

We sat down for dinner. I quickly found Peyton's hand under the table and leaned close to her ear. "You are amazing," I whispered and she smiled shyly, looking up at me. It was true though, she made conversation so easily, and in no way came off nervous or daunted by my parents. 

"So... Your thirtieth birthday is just around the corner," mum said and looked at Morgan and me. "It's good to see you both settling down." 

Dad cleared his throat with a cough and looked at mum like he wanted her to shut up. "You've both found good spots within the corporation. You're both doing well in each of your fields, which is what truly matters at this age." 

Morgan and I both raised our glasses slightly sarcastically to that comment and silently I wondered what he was getting at. 

"We need to talk about your futures within the Stone Corporation. Where do you picture yourselves?" Dad sipped his red wine and looked from Morgan to me. 

"That depends what future you're asking me to focus on," I said and turned my glass by the stem. "Professionally I see myself as an architect. I love what I'm doing, and I'm good at it. I'll gladly keep doing that until I'm at the age of retirement." 

Morgan nodded in unison. "I'm happy working in PR. I'm comfortable with the constant tempo and challenges it provides." 

"And have any of you not given any thought to taking over at the helm?" dad asked and arched an eyebrow. "I'm sixty and I'll of course continue as long as I can, but at some point I won't be able to run the business. I would expect one of you to take over." 

There we had it - his big question; who was going to take over? None of us clearly felt like taking that job. We were happy with what we were doing and none of us had any wishes of becoming CEO. We grew up watching our dad work more, travel further and longer than any of our friends' parents. He was hardly ever home and while he made sure to bring mum on most long travels, his relationship with us was not prioritized. None of us were thrilled with the idea of living the way he did. For a moment an awkward silence took over the dinner table.