42

I loved having Peyton around

I loved having Peyton around. She was a kickass roommate, never noisy, pretty decent at cooking, excellent at stocking the fridge and so well organised. Alli was over the moon having her around too. They were around the same age, a couple of years younger than me, and they just got along so well. Alli was often busy planning huge fundraisers and events for firms, but at the moment she was busy planning Harry's and my birthday party. We had hired her and although I had a million suggestions myself, I trusted her taste more. 

"I think you should have some sort of theme. How about a carnival?" Alli suggested. Peyton was ecstatic with the idea. Suddenly they had thousands of ideas and I just let them roll with it. I had plenty of work myself, so I'd gladly let them take over. 

"Where would we host that though?" I asked, struggling to see us having an outdoor event in February. 

Alli did a quick search for a conference center that was available to hire for events. She turned her laptop so I could see the pictures of the place. It was a huge glass structure with a modern, sleek design, flooded with natural light. The interior featured spacious halls, elegant decor, and state-of-the-art facilities, making it the perfect venue for our birthday party. I couldn't hold back a grin, imagining the place decorated and booming with music. On top of that there was some personal history connected to the place, but I'd save that information for another day.

"We could get a couple of food trucks and maybe some small rides, a live band, and snack vendors..." Alli suggested and I nodded with enthusiasm.

Peyton smiled warmly, looking a little pensive like she was in her own thoughts. It struck me that I knew why. "Your first date with Harry was at the carnival at Jenkinson's Boardwalk, wasn't it?" I asked. 

She nodded and blushed softly recalling that night. I wasn't completely sure what their status was. They always slept in the same bed, I knew that much. And if she said jump, he asked how high. He was around a lot, they joked and laughed together, and he was keeping true to his promise that he was going to wait until she was ready to take him back. She wasn't being unreasonable or hard on him, but she wasn't just giving in either. Harry was used to getting what he wanted, so it had to be a bit of a struggle for him that she wasn't just melting back into their past mould, but he seemed to handle it incredibly well. 

Alli and Peyton were already looking up food trucks and other fun carnival themed things for the party. They sat side by side on the couch, looking at Alli's laptop, and for a moment I just felt so lucky and blessed to have them in my life. 

"What's wrong?" Peyton said suddenly, making Alli put the laptop away. They both scooted over to me, concern painted on their faces. I hadn't even realised I was crying. 

"I'm sorry, I just got sentimental. I'm so happy to have both of you in my life," I laughed while crying. 

They both hugged me and kissed me, before Alli sat back and looked very serious.