25

Harry insisted on my attention

Harry insisted on my attention. I was having a tender moment with Alli, but he was very adamant that he needed to talk to me. Alli gestured for me to have a chat with him, while she took Peyton to the ladies room. Peyton was in a very good mood, obviously quite influenced by the shots she had downed earlier.

"What is it?" I chuckled at Harry as he dragged me to the bar with him. He gestured for me to sit on the bar stool, so he could talk to me. I had an inkling what was coming, but I was going to hear him out. 

"Peyton asked if we could be alone, and I don't know what to do about that." He looked at me, obviously waiting for me to tell him what to do. 

"Well what do you think she means?" I asked and ordered a bourbon for us both. 

"Umm, I think she wants to be alone with me so we can make out without an audience maybe." He almost didn't dare look at me, probably fearing I would tell him that he couldn't make out with my best friend. 

I sipped my bourbon slowly and rubbed my face. I almost couldn't keep a straight face. I felt like a mafia boss deliberating whether an associate would be allowed to look at his daughter - which would never be allowed. Harry sipped his own drink and to my surprise he seemed so nervous. Like he really wanted me to give him the go ahead. 

I put my glass down and leaned closer to him. "Tell me the truth," I looked him straight in the eyes. "Do you like her?" 

He nodded. "Yeah, I do. A lot, I think." 

"Will you be kind to her?" I asked, still looking him dead in the eyes. 

"I will. I won't do anything, I..." 

I held up my hand to stop him. "Let her decide that. She's a grown woman. But don't use her and dismiss her in the morning." 

"I wouldn't," he said and I wasn't doubting his sincerity in any way. He wasn't going to hurt Peyton, because he didn't want to hurt me either. 

"Then ask her what she wants and let her decide." I patted his cheek and emptied my glass in one go. "Let's get back to the table." 

***