66

The test was still balancing on the edge of the sink, its monotone beeps almost sounded like a heart rate monitor

The test was still balancing on the edge of the sink, its monotone beeps almost sounded like a heart rate monitor. I shuddered slightly at the memory of listening to those beeps when Harry was unconscious. The uncertainty, much like the one I felt when I didn't know if he would make it, wasn't a missed companion. 

I picked the test up and looked at the little screen. There was a smiley face and the word 'pregnant' flashing on the screen, along with a '3+' showing, which I wasn't sure what meant, but I could always check the box later. I looked at Harry and turned the stick to show him the result. He was like an open book, trying so hard to contain his emotions, but it radiated from him. He was happy. It was pretty endearing the way he tried not to say anything, but his body language betrayed him. Harry would never force me to do something I didn't want to do, and he was staying true to that promise. That along with a thousand other reasons was why I wanted to have his baby.

"Say something," he said with a nervous, shaky voice.

"Will you love me no matter what?" I looked at him, searching his face for signs of doubt. He just nodded frantically and took a step closer. "Even when my hormones go nuts and I'm impossible to be around? And when my limbs are swollen beyond recognition, making me look like the Michelin man?" He smiled his dimpled smile and nodded. "How about when we disagree on something parenting related?"

"I'll love you through all of it," he nodded, resting his hands on my hips.

"You'll love the baby and never leave him or her, even if you find out you can't stand me anymore?" My voice cracked revealing my emotions of thinking about how my own father ran and never looked back.

His eyes softened. "Of course I will. I will be right by your side."

"Even if the baby turns out to be a brat?" I bit my lip, trying not to laugh.

"Even then," he chuckled and pulled me closer by the hips. "I will love you and this little baby with every fiber of my being. I promise you that."

I sniffled and looked at the pregnancy test. "Then I guess I should start calling you daddy," I said with a snort, unable to keep a straight face anymore. He wiggled his eyebrows at me and pulled me close, kissing me softly.

"Well mommy, I'm ready to be every kind of daddy you need," he gently patted my butt, making me laugh goofily.

"So we're really doing this? We're having a baby?" I held onto him, feeling a mixture between excitement and anxiety.

Harry nodded and looked at me. "Yes. We're having a baby," he chuckled and quickly wiped at the corner of his eye. His excitement and pure joy rubbed off on me, making me sniffle with him.

***