A shared Grief

One night, the tranquility of the farm was broken again. This time, it was Ashley who woke up in a cold sweat, her body shaking from the intensity of her nightmare. Memories of their mother's illness and passing had resurfaced, leaving her feeling raw and vulnerable.

Michael, who was sleeping beside her, woke up instantly, sensing her distress. "Ashley, are you okay?" he asked softly, concern etched in his voice.

Ashley couldn't speak, her mind still trapped in the nightmare. Tears streamed down her face as she tried to catch her breath. Michael held her close, whispering soothing words until her trembling began to subside.

The next morning, Michael gently suggested that she talk to Austin about what had happened. "He's been through this too, Ash. Maybe he can help."

Reluctantly, Ashley agreed. Later that day, she found Austin working in the barn. He looked up and saw the turmoil in her eyes, instantly concerned. "What's wrong, Ash?"

She hesitated, then took a deep breath. "I had a nightmare last night. About Mom. It was so real, Austin. I... I don't know what to do."

Austin's heart ached for his sister. He understood her pain all too well. "I'm so sorry, Ashley. I know how hard it is. You know, talking to a therapist has really helped me. Maybe it could help you too?"

Ashley bit her lip, unsure. "I don't know, Austin. I've never really talked to anyone about it."

"I get it," Austin said gently. "I was hesitant at first too. But it's made such a difference. If you want, we could even do a session together. Just to get started."

Ashley looked into her brother's eyes, seeing the sincerity and care there. She nodded slowly. "Okay. I'll give it a try."