Chapter 10

"Dayvon, baby I haven't talked to you in days

"Dayvon, baby I haven't talked to you in days. How is my only son doing?"

The sweet sound of Tasha's voice coming through the phone, brought a warm feeling in Von's chest. There was only 1 woman so far in this world that he had a soft spot for, and it was his mom.

"Hey Ma. Im doin' good. I'm actually headed to tha airport right nie."

He spoke while sitting comfortably in the backseat of an all black Escalade. It was an early Saturday morning, and he had a flight to catch to Atlanta, for the grand opening of Gold Room.

"Oouu are you going on vacation? You deserve it honey. You work so hard, maybe even harder than your own father."

Tasha giggled, her infectious laugh bringing a smile to his face.

"I wish I was goin' on vacation. I'm just heading to Atlanta fa work."

"Boringggg. Where you really need to be heading Von, is down the aisle at your own damn wedding. All you do is work. When are you going to just settle down and enjoy life?"

Dayvon rolled his eyes, letting out a playful low groan. He always thought it was so funny how his mother would constantly bring up marriage in every single conversation that they had. Tasha was just secretly desperate for her son to settle down and start a family.

"Ma... can we please not discuss this?"

He mumbled.

"Oh I'm never gonna not discuss it until I get an invitation to your wedding. Are you even dating anyone, Von? When's the last time you've had a proper girlfriend? And I'm not talking about those lil hoes you love to be around—"

"Ma please.. I'm finna hang up on you."

Tasha just laughed, finding making fun of her son to be hilarious.

"Boy I wish you would hang up on me. I'a beat yo ass with my belt."

Her Chicago accent slightly came through, earning a chuckle from him.

"In all seriousness though, I just want you to be happy Von. That's it. You're not getting any younger, and neither am I."

"I know Ma. Trust me."