Chapter 29-𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓡𝓸𝔂𝓪𝓵 𝓑𝓮𝓽𝓻𝓪𝔂𝓪𝓵

𑁍~~☆~~𑁍
"Sᴏᴍᴇ ᴅᴀʏ, sᴏᴍᴇ ᴅᴀʏ,"
"Sᴏᴍᴇ ᴅᴀʏ 'ʟʟ, ᴡɪʟʟ ᴡᴇᴀʀ sᴛᴀʀʀʏ
ᴄʀᴏᴡɴ,"
"Sᴏᴍᴇ ᴅᴀʏ, sᴏᴍᴇ ᴅᴀʏ,"
"Sᴏᴍᴇ ᴅᴀʏ,"
" ᴡᴀɴɴᴀ ʟᴀʏ ᴅᴏᴡɴ..."
𑁍~~☆~~𑁍

𝓙𝓾𝓵𝓲𝓮'𝓼 𝓟𝓞𝓥 🜲

The doctor was next to Ray, explaining whatever sickness had the King delirious and bedridden.

At least Julie's friends were in the room with her to listen, because all she seemed to be able to do was watch her dad. Nothing felt right inside, all distant and breathy. Everything sounded as if she was submerged in water. Even the irregular beat of her heart was just wrong.

She'd gone through this before, and the thought of having to do it again...

"It's just like mama," Carlos's voice shook at a whisper. Throat closing up, Julie took his hand.

He needed their dad more than anyone, more than herself. It broke her heart to think that he was so young and forcing through the worst of it. Family meant the world to Julie, but she also had her friends, her band. Carlos didn't really have anyone like he had Ray.

So she sat there next to her brother, keeping him close until Tía rushed into the room and hugged them both tightly. Julie allowed it, standing when her aunt let go. As long as someone was there for Carlos, her obligation to stay was little more than the suffocation of having to see her dad so weak.

Maybe no one noticed, or maybe there really was cotton in her ears, but no protests followed Julie as she fleed the sickroom.

——————————

(Sᴏɴɢ-Lᴏᴠᴇʟʏ-ɴsᴛʀᴜᴍᴇɴᴛᴀʟ ʙʏ Bʀɪᴀɴ Cᴀᴛᴜᴄᴄɪᴏ)

Alone in the midst of the falling snow, Julie swayed in the middle of the bare sparring ring.

She allowed her eyes to fall shut, focusing on nothing but her breathing and the heavy, blanketed silence. Sliding her feet across the icy ground, Julie swung her arms in an arc, pacing herself to the beat of her heart.

With grace and precision she maneuvered through a dance-like battle routine, one that had become such habit that it usually helped to clear her head, calm her mind.

Her movements remained fluid and powerful, as she'd been taught, echoing with sorrowful purpose as she weaved through the icy flakes falling around her.

It was absolutely frigid outside, the much too cold temperatures abrading her unprotected skin. Julie couldn't feel a thing. Not one. The harsh conditions did nothing to faze her, heart as cold and numb as the winter air.

The arena and the falling flakes were the only souls to bear witness to her solitary performance, all as she danced through the storm with a facade of emotional fortitude.

But she was wrong. Apparently the flurry concealed the footsteps.

"You're gonna' freeze out here Jules." His voice was somber.