Chapter 33-𝓘𝓽'𝓼 𝓝𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓸𝓰𝓲𝓬𝓪𝓵

𑁍~~☆~~𑁍
" ᴛᴏᴏᴋ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴊᴏᴜʀɴᴇʏ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴜɴᴋɴᴏᴡɴ,"
"Aɴᴅ 'ᴠᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴄʜᴀɴɢᴇᴅ, ᴄᴀɴ ꜰᴇᴇʟ ɪᴛ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ʙᴏɴᴇs,"
" ꜰᴜᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴡɪᴛʜ ꜰᴏʀᴄᴇs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴏᴜʀ ᴇʏᴇs ᴄᴀɴ' sᴇᴇ,"
"Nᴏᴡ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss ɢᴏᴛ ʜᴏʟᴅ ᴏɴ ᴍᴇ..."
𑁍~~☆~~𑁍

𝓙𝓾𝓵𝓲𝓮'𝓼 𝓟𝓞𝓥 🜲

Caleb escaped.

He'd vanished under the veil of night two days ago, tricking and diverting like the magician that he was. There'd been not a trace left in his wake, so all they were able to do was try and track down the traitors that had helped him.

Julie had her own suspicions, ones she'd had several of her personal guards look into, but she'd been too preoccupied with keeping her family safe and monitoring her dad's recovery.

The King had finally regained his full health, but she'd only allowed him to return to work that morning. No way was she risking his falling ill again.

Despite the return of semi-normalcy, a weight lingered over her like an unrelenting shadow. A week had passed since the night that had shaken the foundation of Julie's life. She had been avoiding Luke with all her might, haunted by the date, the moment, the kiss.

Professor Sterling's words constantly echoed in her mind, a grim reminder of the consequences. His warning had been crystal clear: their relations must be ended for the sake of their future. He'd agreed to keep the secret as long as that happened, and had proven true to his word thus far.

Even so, she could no longer look him in the eye during training. It was like being caught with a boy by her dad. Horrifying for many reasons.

And the thing with Luke...it had ended. As much as that would really ever be possible. He fought her on it every step of the way too, a knowledge that only fueled her longing.

She felt his frustration with just as much clarity. The passion she had felt in that embrace and the forbidden thrill that had consumed her left an echo that refused to fade.

Julie knew that her life would never be the same now, but the single kiss had come at a price, and she would have to live with that. She had to be the one to uphold that boundary.

Not only for the sake of her heart, but for the sake of Luke's life.

(Sᴏɴɢ-ɪ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʙʏ Bɪʟʟɪᴇ Eɪʟɪsʜ)

She returned to the basic job in front of her, organizing sheet music and documents. The coolness of the piano beneath her hands was steadying. The moonlight filtering through the giant windows helped to center her mind.