Chapter 36-𝓟𝓸𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓷𝓮𝓭 𝓡𝓲𝓸𝓽𝓼

𑁍~~☆~~𑁍
"Oʜ, ᴍʏ ʟᴏᴠᴇ,"
"Wʜᴇɴ ᴡᴇ'ʀᴇ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ, ɪᴛ's ᴡɪʟᴅ ʜᴇᴀᴅ ʀᴜsʜ,"
"Hᴏᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛʜᴇ sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ ʀᴜɴɴɪɴ' ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴍʏ ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ,"
"Sᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴄᴀɴ' ᴄᴏɴᴛʀᴏʟ..."
𑁍~~☆~~𑁍

(𝚆𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐: 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚜 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚊 𝚝𝚊𝚍 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚜𝚘 𝚒𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚔𝚒𝚙 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚗𝚍 𝚑𝚊𝚕𝚏 𝚘𝚏 𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚒𝚎'𝚜 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝙿𝙾𝚅! 𝙾𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚠𝚒𝚜𝚎, 𝚎𝚗𝚓𝚘𝚢!)

𝓙𝓾𝓵𝓲𝓮'𝓼 𝓟𝓞𝓥 🜲

Julie woke to the delicate light of dawn filtering through her balcony doors, casting geometric patterns across the walls of her room.

Mornings like this were filled with promise, excitement, but for some reason a tight knot of anxiety sat heavily in her stomach. The echoes of lingering touches and soft whispers from the days before still lingered in her mind, but the warmth they always brought had suddenly turned bitter.

Victoria must've gotten to her again. Talk about princes and courting and image had been exchanged over dinner, sending Julie to bed with that lingering dread once again. Her relationship wasn't just illegal; it was so dangerous.

It wasn't Luke. God, it wasn't Luke, he was perfect and she was beyond happy. Sometimes her fear for him just got the best of her. Maybe it would always be that way.

She sure as hell wasn't going back after crossing that invisible line. No way.

For the past couple of days they'd found time to be alone—behind locked doors, or under the cover of night—but every stolen kiss, every extended embrace, came with a shiver of fear. What if someone saw them? What if someone told? The consequences for Luke...

Quiet resolve settled within her.

Determined to keep him at arm's length today, Julie dressed hurriedly, pulling on her favorite sweater. She felt restless in it, as if it had become a shroud that weighed her down.

Bypassing Flynn's invitation to the servant's quarters, she spent breakfast with her dad and Carlos, pretending to be engaged in hapless conversation about work and events. Staying focused proved to be harder than she thought. Every time she heard a skipping footfall or an enthused voice her heart raced and her mind spiraled into panic.

As the day of hiding and running dragged on, her resolve began to waver. Of course it did. On a good day she couldn't stay away from him if she tried, both because of herself and the fact that Luke could sense her avoidance from a mile away.