𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓

POV Shizuka

Right now, the atmosphere is very cold.

Frigid.

Frozen.

I'm in one corner of the elevator, and Sumalee is in the other. We don't look at each other. No words are spoken, and I regret that the JYP building is so big.

First, because I hate elevators but the stairs are way too long to take, and second, because the ride seems excessively long with Sumalee right now.

Suddenly, a loud noise sounds, and the elevator light goes out.

Oh, damn it.

- "The elevator is stuck," Sumalee observes after pressing a few buttons.

She takes out her phone, but I quickly hear her sigh.

- "No signal."

I squat down and take a deep breath. She pauses in her monologue and looks at me.

- "Are you claustrophobic?"

- "A little."

She looks at me for a few seconds before saying in a monotone voice:

- "Oh."

I lift my head and glare at her.

Helpfulness, comfort, empathy?

Apparently not.

- "Just breathe, I don't think we'll be here for long."

- "If I breathe too much, I'll use up all the air we have left."

She purses her lips, either to hold back a laugh or a grimace, but it doesn't matter.

I saw it.

That tic she has when she's stressed.

Pinching her skin.

- "Aren't you anxious?"

- "No, there's nothing to fear."

Silence.

Only our breathing. Mine is quick, and hers is steady. I try to match hers, but it's no use.

I admire Sumalee for her courage. She's calm, tapping away at something on her phone. I know she won't start crying from anxiety.

Not like I might.

Because Sumalee never cries.

At least, never in front of anyone.

I saw her once with tears in her eyes, when she was announced as a member of Sunmic. She never show a tear in front of us or let us hear her sobs.

Never.

That's different from me, hypersensitive, who cries at the drop of a hat. Well, it balances the group.

Do opposites really attract? I'm not sure, in this case.

- "It's only four in the afternoon, there must be people in the agency. We just need to shout when we hear noises."

I nod at her words, still squatting, and she sits down next to me.

- "Hey, are you really claustrophobic?"

- "No, I'm an actress."

She scrunches her nose before letting out a chuckle.

- "Always so kind to each other."

- "You started it," I say, pointing at her.

She raises her eyebrows and asks:

- "When?"

- "Our first meeting."

She nods slowly, eyebrows raised and eyes staring into space.

- "I suppose we're responsible and mature adults now."

I was about to speak, but she stops me.

- "Don't you dare say I'm immature."

- "I'll keep quiet then."

She gives me a dirty look, and I ask:

- "Honestly, talking nicely to each other isn't that hard."

- "I have a proposal. No friendship, just politeness."

I nod, satisfied.

- "Perfect."

She laughs, and I realize I've forgotten about our current situation. Then I hear voices and immediately stand up.

- "Hey, is anyone there?"

- "There is a ghost in the wall !"

- "Are you stupid or what?"

Two familiar male voices approach the door, and Sumalee shouts:

- "We're stuck in the elevator, can you get someone?"

- "No problem!"

- "It's Yeonjun," declares the Thai girl, looking at herself in the mirror to fix her hair.

- "Shizuka, is that you?"

- "Minho? What are you doing here?"

- "The TikTok."

I hum, but feel the elevator move slightly, and I grab onto the handrail on the wall.

- "Just breathe, he's gone to get someone."

- "I'm having trouble breathing, we must have used up all the air!"

She squints for a moment before admitting:

- "Do you remember the day of Daiyu's surprise birthday party, when I was angry? I had just found out she used all the songs I made in a week to create one for herself and claimed it as her own."

I frown, surprised by her revelation, but the feeling of suffocation is still present. Suddenly, the lights come back on, and the door opens.

- "You're lucky, that was quick!" exclaims Beomgyu, alongside Yeonjun and Minho. The latter approaches me and helps me out of the elevator while Yeonjun and Sumalee hug.

Maybe they're kissing too, but I neither have the capacity or the desire to see that right now.

- "Wow, are you claustrophobic?" asks Minho. "Breathe, you're pale."

I resist the urge to give him a dirty look and follow his advice while he wraps his arms around my shoulders in a friendly hug.

- "Oh damn, the spider is huge!"

We turn to Beomgyu, who is pointing at the wall in horror, where there's a spider —not huge at all— causing him to let out an unmanly scream.