𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟗

POV Shizuka

I sigh as I hear voices shouting in the living room and push aside my blanket in annoyance. I easily recognize Sumalee's and Daiyu's voices, arguing yet again.

I open the door but stop when I hear my name in the conversation, from Daiyu's mouth.

- "I don't even know why you're trying to help her, you can't stand her! You should be proud of me instead, I managed to steal her guy just to make her jealous."

I feel myself mentally stagger for a few seconds, gripping the door handle tightly.

This can't be happening.

- "Do you realize what you're saying?" the Thai girl exclaims.

- "Do you realize what you're becoming " ask the younger one, a hint of annoyance in her voice. "Do you suddenly think you're the responsible elder?"

She raises her voice, mimicking Sumalee.

- "I'm going to show the video I took of Daiyu to Minho so he knows the truth, that way I'm a good person."

A dry laugh echoes.

- "Seriously, reflect on yourself. She doesn't like you. Who would want to be friends with someone who looked down on her from the first meeting?"

Summoning my courage, I open the door. I meet Sumalee's gaze, and behind the veil of anger in her eyes, I think I detect a hint of sadness.

- "Is it really true, Daiyu?" I ask, my voice trembling.

She gives me a malicious look and slowly nods, seemingly relishing the distress that must have shown on my face.

- "But... I thought we were friends..."

- "We're not friends, Shizuka. Get that through your head," she retorts.

She looks at Sumalee, as if to convey the same message. Then she turns back to me and threatens:

- "Be careful. If you dare try to get back with Minho, I'll make your life hell."

- "Why are you fixated on him?" Sumalee asks.

- "Because he's part of what makes her happy."

I stand there, staring at a girl I once shared good and bad memories with.

With who I had complete trust.

With who I said she was like a sister.

A friend.

And I realize all the signs that have been right in front of me for some time now. All the warnings. All the signs.

She doesn't love me. And I don't even know if she's ever felt even a fraction of what I felt for her.

Damn, it hurts.

I bring a hand to my cheek and notice it's wet with tears that I hadn't even felt fall.

- "I'm out of here. Not a word, got it?"

She doesn't even wait for my response and leaves the room. Sumalee approaches me, hesitant— probably because of the young girl's words, which I don't think about —and she asks softly:

- "Shizuka, are you okay?"

I study her face and notice that she's as shocked and hurt as I am.

Even though she warned me.

- "Thank you," I murmur.

- "For?"

- "The video."

She nods, and we remain silent.

Because between us, silence speaks louder than words.

▪︎▫︎▫︎▫︎▫︎

- "Shizuka?" Mi-cha asks, entering our room.

I raise my eyes to her. She's unaware of what happened two hours ago. My red eyes have had time to return to normal.

As if I had never cried.

- "We need to go, the driver is here."

I nod and get up. She's referring to the collaboration we're about to do with Bebe Rexha.

I don't want to go.

For a few minutes, I reconsider my idea of faking a stomachache. But reason catches up with me quickly, and I head downstairs to get into the car.

Without knowing that I might regret it later.