𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔

POV Minho

- "You see, here are the idiots," Chan says, placing his hand flat in the air at his waist. "And here, are the big idiots."

I watch him raise his hand as high as he can and retort to his remark :

- "And you're above that."

- "I know she's one of your friends, but you don't have to be so harsh. I'm one of your best friends!"

He drops his hand in a gesture of disillusionment at my words, then raises it again to count on his fingers

- "Firstly, she's one of my best friends, just like you and Cha. Secondly, I'm being harsh? You're acting like a jerk!"

Given how many times he uses that word, I know.

- "It's all out of jealousy, too."

- "She cheated on me right after we got together."

He raises his eyebrows, looking at me sitting on the edge of the bed while he paces.

- "And you still believe that?"

- "The looks don't lie."

- "The looks of what, you little jerk? Soobin has been working with her for a long time, they trained together. They're best friends, they're only a few months apart in age, both vocalists and leaders."

He sighs, takes a deep breath.

- "They have a lot in common, it's natural they talk often. It's like if she got jealous when you talked to Cha about video games, or when you helped Dayu with her dance moves."

I feel tears welling up, each accusation hitting me hard.

- "You're acting like a kid."

- "I get it!" I exclaim, standing up, leaving the room and slamming the door behind me.

I need to dance.

I don't even bother closing the front door behind me, just grab a water bottle from the table.

I rush down the steps, walk to the agency, and hurry into the first room.

I sigh upon hearing female voices, but it's too late, I've already entered. I spot Hae, Daiyu, and Shizuka rehearsing rap parts.

I can't help but notice Hae, the youngest of the group, immediately decides to leave the room with just a glare at me, followed by Shizuka, who doesn't even spare me a glance.

And it's worse.

- "Minho! You came to visit me!"

- "Absolutely not."

She grimaces and furrows her brows, but kisses me anyway. An unnecessary action that disgusts me. She backs away, and I wipe my lips without hiding it, causing her to grimace even more.

- "You make no effort."

- "I don't want to," I reply, placing my water bottle in a corner and selecting a song.

She mutters under her breath and leaves the room, and I exhale when the door reopens, thinking she wasn't finished bothering me.

- "T..."

Shizuka.

- "OK," she announces, closing the door behind her. "Right now, all I want is to ignore you and hope my brain will eventually realize you were just an illusion."

She takes a breath and continues, as if she hadn't just broken my heart with those words:

- "You're the biggest idiot on the planet, and I..."

- "You cheated on me!" I indignantly interrupt, pointing an accusatory finger at her, my sadness quickly replaced by a sense of betrayal.

- "I didn't cheat on you, Minho."

- "Don't call me that anymore."

She steps back a few paces, as if my words had physically affected her, and for a split second, I feel guilty.

But it never lasts long.

- "Asshole."

She throws this insult in my face and leaves the room too, leaving behind an unpleasant emptiness. I sit on the floor and stare at my reflection in the mirror.

I dyed my hair red on a whim, and while I received several compliments, I can't stand looking at the man facing me.

His gaze. Damn.

I rub my eyes violently, as if trying to erase this complex. But it doesn't work.

Nothing works.

▪︎▫︎▫︎▫︎▫︎

The door bursts open with a crash, revealing an angry Hyunjin. He abruptly presses pause on my phone, cutting off the music, and doesn't wait a second to bombard me with reproaches:

- "Listen to me. You're older than me, but I'm going to speak frankly for once. You're just a big jerk, thinking you know it all."

I immediately understand he's referring to Shizuka, probably confiding in him.

Damn it, I've only danced to five songs.

- "Are you going to talk for long?"

- "That's your problem!" he exclaims. "You shut yourself off and ignore the world around you. Open your eyes, damn it, or you'll regret later missing out on something."

He scrutinizes me for a few seconds before sighing:

- "And besides, it's not like you really love her. You don't have the same spark in your eyes. And you don't even talk about her to us. That's the difference between Dayu and Shizuka."

And he leaves the room. The third time I've observed this scenario, and three different emotions each time.

Disgust, satisfaction, relief.

Anger, sadness, betrayal.

Doubt, annoyance, questioning.

I can't find the strength to restart the music, and I remain standing, staring at the door.

Hoping the pain will also leave the room.