24

The sterile smell of antiseptic filled the air as Reyansh walked through the hospital corridors, his footsteps echoing softly against the polished floors. His heart pounded with determination, each step bringing him closer to Ruhi's room. He couldn't let her sacrifice her happiness any longer. He couldn't live a lie.

When he reached Ruhi's room, he paused for a moment, gathering his thoughts. He pushed the door open gently and stepped inside. Ruhi lay in the bed, her face pale but her eyes open and alert. She turned her head slightly, and her eyes softened when she saw him.

"Reyansh," she whispered, her voice weak but filled with warmth.

Reyansh moved to her side, taking her hand gently in his. "Ruhi, we need to talk."

Ruhi tried to sit up, wincing slightly from the effort. "What is it?"

Reyansh's eyes locked onto hers, his expression resolute. "I'm breaking off the engagement with Abhira. I can't go through with it."

Ruhi's eyes widened, a mixture of shock and fear crossing her face. "Reyansh, you can't do that. You promised me you would marry her."

"I know what I promised," Reyansh said firmly, "but I can't keep that promise. Not when it means giving up the one person I truly love. Ruhi, I love you. Only you. And I'm not going to let anyone or anything come between us."

Tears welled up in Ruhi's eyes. "Reyansh, you don't understand. Abhira—"

"Abhira will have to understand," Reyansh interrupted, his voice gentle but unyielding. "I won't live a lie, Ruhi. I won't marry someone I don't love. You asked me to marry Abhira because you were scared of losing her. But what about us? What about what we feel for each other?"

Ruhi looked away, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I don't want to hurt her. She's my sister."

"And you think hurting yourself, and me, is the answer?" Reyansh's voice softened as he leaned closer, wiping away her tears. "Ruhi, love isn't about sacrifice. It's about finding happiness together. Abhira will understand in time. She deserves someone who loves her wholeheartedly, and so do you."

Ruhi shook her head, still struggling with her emotions. "But Reyansh, she might never forgive me. I can't bear the thought of losing her."

Reyansh squeezed her hand gently. "And I can't bear the thought of losing you. We need to be honest with her, and with ourselves. I'll talk to Abhira. I'll explain everything. But I'm not going to let you push me away anymore. I love you, Ruhi. I want to marry you, and only you."

Ruhi looked up at him, her eyes filled with a mixture of fear and hope. "Do you really mean that?"

Reyansh nodded, his eyes unwavering. "With all my heart. I won't listen to anyone else. Our love is worth fighting for, and I won't let anything come between us."

Ruhi's tears continued to flow, but a small smile began to form on her lips. "I love you too, Reyansh. I just didn't know how to balance everything."

"We'll figure it out together," Reyansh said softly. "We'll talk to Abhira, and we'll make her understand. But I won't lose you, Ruhi. Not now, not ever."

As they held each other's gaze, a sense of calm and determination settled over them. They knew the road ahead wouldn't be easy, but together, they could face anything. Their love was strong enough to overcome the obstacles, and they were ready to fight for their future.

~~~~~

Reyansh's footsteps echoed down the hallway as he made his way to Abhira's office, his mind filled with a mix of frustration and determination. He needed to confront Abhira about her manipulation of Ruhi, to make her see the pain she had caused and the damage she had done.