7

Your journal swayed in a satchel to your side.

There was a rush of adrenaline whenever you took a step forward.
This was your first time back in Bonesborough, after a very long hiatus.

There was no real meaning behind this trip, just to get Eda away from the house and to get you back on your feet.

You gripped the bag's over-the-shoulder strap to gain some confidence.

"Oh relax, we'll be fine!"
Eda didn't seem as enthusiastic as usual.

"Yeah, you're right. Thanks, Eda."
You sent her a, hopefully, comforting smile.

It was hard to figure out what was going on in her head.
Earlier that morning, she was very quiet around King and Luz while they were training for the Gland Prix.

You felt yourself sigh.

Maybe she was lonely?
Well, you weren't going to figure it out without her talking about it.

Unfortunately, you weren't going to get the chance.
You'd spent a full day working on your plan to bust Hunter out of the palace.

And tomorrow, during the aforementioned Gland Prix, you were going to bring him home.

Finally.

The two of you were sat at Eda's usual bar. A carton of apple blood had magically made its way into The Owl Lady's hand while you attempted to hand the barkeep a few snails.

"Don't bother trying that, kid. Eda's tab alone is enough to send most witches your age into permanent debt."
You didn't see his mouth move under his handlebar moustache, but you knew it was him talking.

With a concerned look on your face, you slowly put your wallet back in your bag.

Right now, the Isles weren't doing a good enough job at distracting you from your plan.

The Owl Lady and the barkeep exchanged brief conversation while you eavesdropped somewhere else, to kill time.

There were two gruff demons sat at the other end of the bar.

You felt your blood run cold.

'It's impressive the Copper Commander hasn't been rescued yet.'
Oh no.

Your thighs shuffled around your barstool in an attempt to get comfy again.

Breathe, the more suspicious you looked, the harder it would be to blend into the background.
'The news has been saying the Copper Commander managed to escape though.'

Oh, had you now?
'Good, there's no way the Golden Guard's right hand gets taken out by some powerless witch.'

You felt yourself twitch at the insult they sent toward Eda. However, in order to keep your unfazed facade up, you kept still.

The larger demon looked to Eda, who hid you from the two and rolled their eyes.

'Speaking of, the Golden Guard looked like a mess during that press coverage about it."
Oh Titan, what did Belos do to him?

'I guess being taken off the lead search team must suck. I wonder what happened.'
Hunter wasn't trying to save you anymore?

You shook your head.
He wouldn't just stop searching.

Belos must have forced him to back down...

'Maybe they're just lost?'
Yeah, you were lost.
That was the most sensible answer.

Lost on your way back to the castle.
At least they weren't suspect of you.

One of the demons took a swig from their drink.
'I just hope they're not dead. They're still a kid after all.'