Lies

Zhan's mind raced, trying to process everything. The chaotic emotions swirling inside him made it hard to think clearly. Wang, his mate, stood accused of stabbing Cheng, but deep down, Zhan couldn't believe it. Wang would never do such a thing. Yet, the evidence — the twin jade — was damning.

As Zhan left Meng's room, his steps felt heavy, the weight of the situation pressing down on him. His heart ached for Meng, who had just lost her husband. He could still hear her wails echoing in his mind. Cheng was gone. Zhan closed his eyes, the guilt of not being there when it happened gnawing at him.

The palace halls felt eerily quiet as he walked back to Wang's room. The servants had cleared the room, and Chang was sitting by Wang's bedside, gently stroking his hair. Wang looked pale and weak, still recovering from the violent retching earlier.

"Zhan..." Wang's voice was soft but pained, his eyes searching Zhan's face for reassurance.

"I know you didn't do it," Zhan said quietly as he sat on the edge of the bed. He took Wang's hand and squeezed it. "But the silent brothers are coming in three days. They'll... they'll force the truth out."

Wang nodded, his eyes glassy with fatigue and worry. "Let them come. I want to clear my name."

Zhan's chest tightened at Wang's words. The silent brothers were not known for their mercy. Their methods were brutal, and Wang wasn't in any shape to endure it. But Wang was right. If they didn't allow the silent brothers to investigate, suspicions would only grow. The palace was already buzzing with whispers.

"I'll be with you," Zhan promised, brushing a strand of hair from Wang's forehead. "Whatever happens, we'll face it together."

Wang smiled weakly. "You're too good to me."

Before Zhan could respond, there was a knock at the door. Chang stood up, smoothing her robes. It was Meng.

"Can I talk to him?" Meng asked softly, her voice raw from crying.

Zhan hesitated for a moment, but Wang gave a small nod. Zhan rose from the bed and moved toward the door, standing close enough to step in if needed.

Meng stood before Wang, her posture stiff and her eyes red-rimmed. "I don't want to believe you did this," she began, her voice breaking. "But you were there, Wang. You were seen."

Wang swallowed hard, sitting up straighter. "I swear to you, Meng, I didn't touch Cheng. I would never harm him."

Meng's lips quivered, and she blinked rapidly to hold back fresh tears. "If I find out you're lying, Wang... if the silent brothers prove you did this, I'll—"

"I know," Wang interrupted, his voice steady despite the fear in his eyes. "You don't have to say it. I understand."

Meng looked at him for a long moment, as if searching his face for something — some sign, some flicker of guilt. But all she saw was pain and exhaustion. Finally, she sighed, turning her gaze to the floor. "I just want the truth," she whispered, before turning and walking out of the room.

The door clicked softly behind her, leaving Zhan and Wang in silence.

"I need to get out of here," Wang muttered after a few minutes, his voice heavy with frustration. "I need to clear my head."

Zhan stood up, pulling Wang gently to his feet. "Let's go for a walk. The air might help."

Together, they stepped out into the palace gardens. The night was cool, and the stars blinked down at them from the vast sky above. Wang inhaled deeply, the fresh air soothing his frazzled nerves.

"I can't believe this is happening," Wang murmured. "Cheng... he was always so kind to me. And now..."

Zhan wrapped an arm around Wang's shoulders, holding him close. "We'll get to the bottom of this. I promise."

For a while, they walked in silence, their footsteps crunching softly on the gravel path. The garden was peaceful, a stark contrast to the turmoil inside the palace. As they rounded a corner, Zhan spotted someone sitting on a bench under a large willow tree.

It was Yanli, her hands glowing faintly with magic as she stared at the sky. She noticed them and stood up, her face set in a grim expression.

"You know I still don't believe you," she said to Wang, her voice cold. "But if the silent brothers say you're innocent, I'll back off."

Wang nodded, his expression guarded. "I appreciate that."

Yanli turned to Zhan. "Make sure he's ready. They don't show mercy, not even for the king's mate."

With that, she walked away, leaving them alone again under the night sky.

Wang sighed heavily, leaning into Zhan. "I'm ready," he whispered, but Zhan could hear the fear in his voice.

"I know," Zhan replied softly. But deep down, he wasn't sure any of them were ready for what was to come.