Lan Wanji's life. 1

Lan Wanji slowly regained consciousness, his head pounding and his heart aching with each beat. For a moment, he couldn't remember where he was or why he felt so devastated. His eyes fluttered open, and he recognized the familiar ceiling of his room. He tried to sit up, but a wave of dizziness overtook him. The fragmented memories began to reassemble in his mind: the airport, Wei Ying, the stranger—Victor—and those devastating words, "my husband."

The pain in his chest intensified, as if someone had physically ripped his heart from his body. He had always believed that his love for Wei Ying was reciprocated, even if Wei Ying teased him and brushed off his advances. It had been a delicate dance between them, one that had lasted over a decade. He never thought Wei Ying would actually choose someone else, let alone marry.

"Wanji?" a soft, elderly voice broke through his thoughts. His grandmother was sitting in a chair by his bedside, her wrinkled face full of concern.

"Grandmother..." he whispered, his throat dry and sore. "Why... Why didn't anyone tell me?"

The old woman sighed deeply, reaching out to stroke his hand. "We didn't know, dear. Wei Ying kept it a secret from most of us too."

Lan Wanji sat up slowly, his head still spinning. "But it hurts more now," he said, his voice cracking. He felt like a fool, utterly and hopelessly naive to have believed that Wei Ying would one day return his feelings. How could Wei Ying do this to him? They had shared so much—memories, laughter, and moments that Lan Wanji had held close to his heart.

"I know, Wanji. I know," his grandmother said soothingly, her frail hand resting on his shoulder. "But this is life. We can't always get what we want, no matter how much we love someone. You have to be strong, for your own sake."

Lan Wanji swallowed hard, the lump in his throat almost too painful to bear. "I was going to ask him to marry me today," he admitted, his voice barely audible. "I bought a ring and everything."

His grandmother looked pained, her eyes misting over. "Oh, my dear boy..."

"I thought... I thought he loved me," Lan Wanji continued, his emotions finally spilling over. "I've loved him for so long. I've been so patient, waiting for him to come around. But now..." His words trailed off as he tried to suppress the sobs building in his chest.

His grandmother pulled him into a gentle embrace, holding him close. "Sometimes, love isn't enough," she whispered. "Sometimes, people love us in different ways than we love them."

Lan Wanji nodded, though he didn't truly understand. How could Wei Ying not have loved him the same way? How could he have chosen someone else? The thought of Wei Ying being married, of sharing his life with someone named Victor, made Lan Wanji's stomach turn. He felt as though his entire world had collapsed.

Meanwhile, Cheng returned home from Wanji's house, a deep frown creasing his brow. He had never seen Lan Wanji like this—so broken, so defeated. Wei Ying had always been Lan Wanji's anchor, whether Wei Ying realized it or not. Seeing the usually stoic and composed Lan Wanji crumble like that had been unsettling.

When he arrived back at their house, Wei Ying and Victor were sitting on the couch, laughing softly as they shared a cup of tea. The sight made Cheng's heart heavy. Wei Ying had always been carefree, mischievous even, and rarely understood the weight of the emotions others had for him. But this time, his actions had truly hurt someone.

Wei Ying looked up and smiled when Cheng entered the room. "Hey, you're back! How's Wanji? Did he wake up?"

Cheng crossed his arms and glared at his brother. "Wei Ying, what were you thinking?"