The Symbol

Zhan moved quietly, the soft padding of his feet barely making a sound as he exited the bedroom. Wang was still fast asleep, curled up beneath the sheets, his steady breathing the only noise in the otherwise quiet space.

The door clicked softly behind him as he stepped into the hallway, the early morning light filtering through the thin curtains. The house was still, the kind of calm that only existed after a long night of laughter and celebration. Zhan walked toward the living room, already expecting to find the aftermath of the party that had stretched well into the night.

When he entered the living room, he wasn't disappointed. It was a sight to behold.

Chang lay sprawled on the couch, her arms flung in every direction like she had fought a battle with the cushions and lost. Meng had somehow managed to mirror Chang's position on the other side of the same couch, their bodies overlapping in a tangle of limbs that made Zhan wonder how they could still be comfortable. Feng Mian was in the armchair, his head leaned back, mouth slightly open, as if he had fallen asleep mid-conversation. It was a rare sight to see him so relaxed. Duan Dan, on the other hand, was the only one awake, though her mind seemed to be elsewhere. She was sitting in a chair in the corner, her fingers tracing slow circles in the air as soft pulses of magic floated through the room, picking up stray cups and empty plates, stacking them neatly on the side table.

Zhan couldn't help but smile at the scene. He stepped closer to Duan Dan, his eyes catching the gentle glow of her magic as it worked its way through the mess.

"Are you okay?" he asked, startling her.

Duan Dan jumped slightly in her seat, her concentration broken. She blinked rapidly and then looked up at Zhan with a soft chuckle.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine," she said, adjusting in her seat and letting the magic dissipate. "Just a little tired. But nothing a bit of rest won't fix."

Zhan giggled, glancing at the others sprawled around the room. "Y'all had fun last night."

"Oh, we did!" Duan Dan grinned, stretching out in her chair. "And honestly, I need more of those nights. The last few weeks have been... a lot. It was good to just be with everyone, laughing, and relaxing. You were missed though," she added with a playful wink.

Zhan's expression shifted, becoming more serious as he sat on the arm of the chair next to her. "I wanted to thank you," he said, his voice low and sincere. "I know I don't say it enough, but thank you. I really appreciate everything you've done—for me, for Wang. I don't think I'd be where I am without you."

Before Duan Dan could respond, Meng's sleepy voice cut through the air.

"I thought we were family," Meng said, her words slightly slurred as she stretched and blinked her eyes open. "We don't thank family, Zhan. We support each other. Always."

Chang, her face buried in the cushions, let out a muffled groan. "She's right. We're a team, Zhan. No need to get all sentimental."

Zhan chuckled at their responses but remained firm. "I know, I know. But still... I wanted to say it."

Feng Mian stirred in his chair, his eyes opening slowly, a smile spreading across his face as he noticed Zhan. "Your majesty," he teased lightly, his tone affectionate. "It's good to have you back."

Zhan's heart warmed at the sight of his friends, the people who had become his chosen family over the years. It had been a long road to get here, but moments like this—seeing the ease in their camaraderie, feeling the deep-rooted bonds they shared—made all the struggles worth it.

As the room slowly came to life, with everyone stretching and complaining half-heartedly about sore muscles and the mess that still remained, Zhan took a deep breath, feeling lighter than he had in a long time. It wasn't the battles they'd fought together or the missions they'd completed that cemented their bond. It was mornings like this. The quiet after the storm. The laughter. The shared memories.