Entourage

Lan Qiren sat in the family hall, surrounded by his wife and children. The weight of recent events pressed down on his shoulders, and he sighed heavily, a sound that carried the burden of an increasingly unstable political landscape.

"The Qishan Wen clan are crazy people," he muttered. "That Wen Ruohan, he's grown more arrogant by the day." He rubbed his temples, recalling the frustration of the treaty negotiations. "He had the audacity to delay the talks for two days. Two days! As if the rest of us had nothing better to do than wait on him. And then Mr. Jin, of the Lanling Jin clan, completely lost his temper. Declared he wasn't interested in the treaty anymore."

He shook his head, the memory of Jin Guangshan's outburst vivid in his mind. "It took the combined efforts of every other clan to calm him down. Wen Ruohan's provocations are pushing us all to the brink of war."

Lan Qiren's wife, ever the voice of calm, gently placed her hand on his arm. "Peace will prevail, as long as the rest of the clans remain united. The Wen clan can't stand against all of us."

But Lan Qiren was not so sure. He had been in this world long enough to sense when something ominous was brewing. "Wen Ruohan is up to something," he said quietly, his eyes narrowing as he thought of the recent, subtle shifts in power. "I feel it in my bones. And to make matters worse, Madam Yu of the Yunmeng Jiang clan isn't helping. She's as volatile as ever."

His wife smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes. "Madam Yu is a formidable woman. But her children...they're good-hearted, aren't they?"

Lan Qiren nodded slowly. "Yes, Jiang Cheng and Yanli. Yanli especially—what a kind and respectful young lady she is. I hear she's also quite skilled in the kitchen, which is a rare trait these days. Jiang Cheng is a capable young man, though he still has much to learn." He paused, a faint smile tugging at his lips as he thought of the Jiang children. "Ayana, you need to find a good suitor," he said, beaming with pride. His eyes sparkled as he imagined her future, filled with love and happiness.

At the mention of her name, his daughter looked up from where she had been listening quietly. "Yes, Father"

The conversation shifted as they discussed the other clans. "The Jin family also has sons, just like the Wen family and the Qinghe Nie clan. But Ayana," he said, turning to his daughter, "you mustn't give the Wen boys any attention. They're trouble—especially Wen Xu and Wen Chao." His voice was filled with concern.

Ayana's lips twitched into a small smile. "Don't worry, Father. I have no intention of associating with the Wen clan's sons. I've heard enough about them to know better."

Her father relaxed slightly at her words, though he still looked concerned. "We've agreed to allow the younger generation to get to know one another at the gathering," Lan Qiren explained. "You'll have your pick from among the maidens and young men of the other clans, and you'll have three months to decide. If, at the end of those three months, no one has caught your eye, we—the elders—will step in and arrange marriages."

The thought of arranged marriages made Ayana frown, but she kept her thoughts to herself. "Three months is plenty of time, Father. I'm sure we will make a choice by then."

Lan Qiren nodded, though the worry didn't fully leave his face. "The humans and the people of the Coral Waters have also been invited to the treaty. We need to strengthen ties with all our allies."

"The Coral Waters?" Wanji asked, his curiosity piqued.

"Yes," Lan Qiren confirmed. "But the mermaids declined the invitation. They said they lose their voices when they walk on land, so there's no point in attending. What's the use of diplomacy if you can't speak?" He chuckled lightly, though it was clear the political complexities weighed heavily on him.