Lan Wanji's life. 12

It had been six months since Wanji left for America, and now, it was time for his return. The long months had felt like an eternity in some ways and like a brief pause in others. His journey had taken him through a lot of introspection and personal growth, but despite all the experiences he had gathered, there was always a place to call home.

The airport was bustling with people that afternoon, the cool German breeze contrasting with the warmth of the familiar faces waiting for Wanji at the arrival gate. His grandmother, father, aunt Ayana, and Cheng, were eagerly standing there, scanning the crowd for Wanji's familiar figure. A bouquet of vibrant flowers in hand, his grandmother stood at the front, shifting her weight from one foot to the other, barely containing her excitement. The flowers she held were bright and colorful—dahlias, peonies, and sunflowers—her favorite, meant to symbolize joy and renewal.

As soon as Wanji emerged from the crowd of travelers, his grandmother was the first to rush toward him, her face lighting up in a way that seemed to erase the years from her weathered features.

"I miss you," she whispered emotionally, wrapping him in a tight hug. There was a brief silence as they held each other, his grandmother feeling the warmth of his presence again after so long. "You look well," she added, smiling as she pulled back, taking a good look at him. Wanji offered a small smile in return, though his eyes reflected some of the struggles he had gone through in the past months.

His father, tall and stoic as ever, extended a hand toward Wanji. They shook hands, a firm grip that spoke volumes more than any words. His father wasn't one to express emotion easily, but Wanji knew this was his way of showing his pride and relief at seeing his son return. "Good to have you back," his father said quietly.

Next was Ayana, Wanji's eccentric aunt, full of energy and life. As soon as her turn came, she squeezed his arms, pretending to measure his strength. "Have you been working out?" she teased, her eyebrow raised playfully.

"Yeah, out of boredom," Wanji replied with a sigh.

Ayana giggled, giving him a light punch on the arm. "They're sexy!" she added, winking.

Wanji winced, making a face. "Gross," he muttered, shaking his head. His cheeks flushed a bit at her teasing, though deep down, he appreciated the light-heartedness of it all.

"Ayana," his father interrupted with a stern tone, giving her a warning look. His father's reserved nature was the polar opposite of Ayana's outgoing personality.

"What?" she said, still smiling. She always found a way to ease any tension with her infectious energy.

Finally, Cheng, stepped forward, offering a handshake but then pulling Wanji into a brief hug. "Good to see you, man," Cheng said, clapping him on the back. There was no need for many words between them—just a silent understanding.

With the greetings done, they gathered his luggage, made sure everything was accounted for, and headed out to the car. The drive home was smooth, the kind of ride where everyone talks and laughs, catching up on small things and filling the gaps that had formed during Wanji's absence. As they drove, Wanji scrolled through his phone, showing them pictures of his elegant house, simple yet thoughtfully arranged.

"You've got a knack for style," Ayana commented, looking at the minimalist yet tasteful décor in the photos.

"It's all about the details," Wanji shrugged, downplaying his efforts.

When they finally reached home, the warm and familiar scent of his grandmother's cooking filled the air. It was as if time had stood still, and Wanji slipped back into the comfortable rhythms of home life. After unpacking and freshening up, he joined his family for dinner. They gathered around the dining table, where laughter flowed freely, and stories from the past few months were exchanged. Wanji couldn't help but feel a sense of peace settle over him, a quiet contentment that he hadn't realized he missed until that moment.

His family noticed the change in him as well. His mood had lifted, the dark cloud that had hung over him for months finally starting to dissipate. It wasn't completely gone, but for the first time in a long time, Wanji felt like he was making progress toward healing.

For the next few weeks, Wanji fell into a new routine. He returned to work, easing back into the tasks and responsibilities that awaited him. He worked out regularly, finding solace in the steady rhythm of exercise, using it as an outlet for his emotions. On the weekends, he spent time with his family, often visiting his mother's grave or helping his father with small projects around the house. He and Cheng would go for long walks, talking about life and the different paths they were on.

Everything seemed positive. The weight of the past year wasn't completely gone, but it had lessened, and Wanji could see a path forward. He had been carrying a lot of emotional baggage—particularly an unrequited love that had been strained and painful. But here, surrounded by family and friends, Wanji felt that healing was possible.

One morning, as Wanji was getting ready to head to work, his phone buzzed. He picked it up to find a text from Zewu Jun. The text was simple but intriguing. Ready for that drink?

Wanji smirked, shaking his head slightly before replying: Time and place?

Later that evening, Wanji and Cheng met up with Zewu Jun at a local bar. The atmosphere was relaxed, the low hum of conversations filling the air as they sat down at a corner table. Zewu Jun had always been the life of the party, charismatic and full of stories, but tonight, the conversation flowed easily between the three of them. They talked about everything and nothing—work, travel, random observations about life. The subjects flowed naturally, and for once, they avoided any heavy or sensitive topics, especially relationships.

Cheng, couldn't remember the last time he had seen Wanji like this—genuinely relaxed and happy. The past year had been hard on Wanji, and Cheng had watched helplessly as his friend struggled through it all. But tonight, Wanji seemed lighter, more at ease with himself and the world around him.

As the night wore on, the drinks kept flowing, but no one overindulged. They were here for the company, not to drown themselves in alcohol. There was something comforting about being surrounded by friends who didn't press for more than Wanji was willing to give. They talked late into the night until the bar started to wind down, and they decided it was time to head home.

In the following weeks, Wanji continued to rebuild his life, one step at a time. His mornings started early, a routine that involved a run through the park, followed by a quick breakfast with his grandmother. Work filled his afternoons, and in the evenings, he often found himself at the gym or spending time with Cheng. The structure of his days gave him a sense of stability, something he had been sorely lacking in the chaotic months prior.

But despite the positivity surrounding him, Wanji still felt a void. There were moments, especially in the quiet of the night when the loneliness would creep back in. The unresolved issues with Wei Ying still gnawed at him, a reminder of the fractures in his heart that hadn't healed.

His family, especially his father, tried not to bring up any issues related to dating. His grandmother, ever the peacemaker, would occasionally drop subtle hints, encouraging Wanji to go out, to rebuild that bridge before it was too late. But Wanji wasn't ready, and his family respected that, allowing him to take the time he needed.

Despite the lingering shadows, Wanji found joy in the small things—like the sound of his grandmother's laughter as they cooked together, or the camaraderie he shared with Cheng during their long conversations. These were the moments that made life bearable, the moments that reminded Wanji that he wasn't alone.

As the weeks passed, Wanji realized that healing wasn't a linear process. There were good days and bad days, moments of clarity and moments of doubt. But through it all, he kept moving forward, taking it one day at a time. For now, that was enough.