Introduction

The grand hall was a sight to behold, its vast expanse adorned with vibrant colors that danced off the walls, illuminated by the soft glow of lanterns hanging from the high ceiling. Intricately carved wooden beams stretched above, supporting the aged structure that had witnessed countless gatherings over the centuries. The walls were lined with ancient musical instruments, each one a relic of the past, reminders of the long history that the Yunmeng clan proudly carried.

Guests filled the hall, moving gracefully across the floor in pairs and singles. There was a certain elegance in the way they mingled, each one dressed in their finest attire, representing their clans with pride. Silk robes in varying shades of blue, red, and gold shimmered under the lantern light, while embroidered crests of their respective families adorned their chests. This was no ordinary gathering. It was a treaty meeting—a time of peace, negotiation, and celebration. Tensions that had brewed between clans over the years were meant to dissolve in these hallowed halls, replaced by camaraderie and mutual respect.

At the head of the hall, seated on an elevated platform, was Jiang Fengmian, the esteemed leader of the Yunmeng clan. He rose from his seat, a warm smile spreading across his face, and his voice rang out, clear and welcoming.

"Welcome, everyone! Thank you for attending this treaty meeting. We are honored to host you here in Yunmeng and hope you enjoy your stay. May this gathering mark a new era of cooperation and peace between our clans."

The crowd responded with a murmur of agreement as they took in his words. Jiang Fengmian then introduced his family, gesturing proudly to his wife, Madam Yu, who stood beside him, her posture regal and commanding. By her side were their two children, their eyes bright with the excitement of the occasion. Each of the clan leaders in attendance followed suit, standing up one by one to introduce their families. They came from all corners of the land, each bearing gifts for the Yunmeng clan—a token of respect and goodwill. The gifts were symbolic: precious jewels, intricate scrolls, rare herbs, and even fine silks from distant lands.

When the introductions concluded, Madam Yu stepped forward, her voice cutting through the buzz of conversation like a blade. "Before we proceed with the meal, I must ask—are there any dietary restrictions or preferences we should be aware of? We have heard that some among you may not favor spicy food." Her tone was firm, almost authoritative, as she scanned the room.

In response, each clan's personal guard made their way to the front, where a large parchment was laid out on a table. They picked up quills, dipping them into ink, and began to write down the names of their leaders and families, along with any special dietary requests. Some clans preferred milder dishes, while others abstained from certain meats or ingredients.

With that taken care of, the servants began to pour tea into delicate porcelain cups, the aroma of herbs and flowers filling the air. The tea was a signature blend of Yunmeng—refreshing and light, with a hint of sweetness that lingered on the tongue. The scent wafted across the room, and as the guests took their first sips, a calm settled over the hall. Conversations resumed, quieter now, as everyone savored the moment. The tea was said to have healing properties, and its effects were felt almost instantly, a soothing warmth spreading through their bodies.

Once the tea had been enjoyed, the side dishes were served. Platters of steamed vegetables, delicate dumplings filled with lotus root, and slices of tender fish marinated in fragrant spices were placed before the guests. The presentation was impeccable, and every bite was a testament to the culinary skills of the Yunmeng chefs. There was a sense of anticipation as the main course was brought out—a dish that Yunmeng was famous for lotus pork ribs served with white rice.

The ribs had been slow-cooked to perfection, the meat falling off the bone with ease. They were infused with a rich, savory broth made from lotus roots, a local delicacy that gave the dish its unique flavor. The rice, pure and white, provided the perfect complement, its subtlety balancing the richness of the ribs. As the guests tasted the dish, there was a collective murmur of approval. Some even whispered in awe, comparing it to the best meals they had ever had.