The Island

Beaumont stood at the helm with De Mornay beside him. His arm was bandaged after Benjamin had taken the shot from his arm and then they had both been manacled with their hands in front of them. Chains ran from their hands down to the manacles around their feet. There was no doubt that Jack Sparrow was not going to take any chances with them.

"Find North and keep going," Beaumont said casually.

Jack looked at him and rolled his eyes. He looked down at his compass and then across at Hock.

"Mister Hock, your compass please," he said and shutting his own put it back into his pocket.

"So it's true; your compass doesn't point North," De Mornay said suddenly and earned a shove from behind by Dwent.

"Captain didn't ask fer yer comments."

Jack took the offered compass from Hock and opening it adjusted the wheel slightly before looking across at Beaumont.

"I really don't need to impress upon you two gentlemen just how precise your directions are going to have to be do I?" he smiled at them, but it was not a nice smile and came nowhere near his eyes, which were dark and hard.

"It's been a long time..." Beaumont spoke coldly, a tiny smirk forming on his face. He looked across at where Norrington was stood with Will and Bryant, close to the bulwarks.

"But not long enough to erase it from your mind I trust," Jack said casually.

"Do you have Helen's beads?" Beaumont asked after staring at the Norrington for several seconds.

Jack took them out of his pocket and looked across at Gibbs.

"Take the wheel, Mister Gibbs."

Gibbs obeyed him and Jack moved to stand in front of Beaumont with the beads in his hand.

"Find the tie," Beaumont instructed grudgingly "Work three beads forward and the next three beads will be your compass bearing."

Norrington cleared his throat and looked at Bryant in horror.

"Jack." He stepped forward urgently. "A moment please."

Jack looked up surprised at Norrington using his first name and in a tone so urgent.

Jack mockingly bowed at Beaumont and moved across to stand in front of the Commodore.

"We have a slight problem," Norrington said quietly anxiety clear in his voice.

Jack frowned up at him and shook his head for him to continue.

"We used the twine holding the beads to stitch your young man up."

Jack stared at him for several seconds before looking back down at the beads strung on the gold chain before closing his eyes.

"And I take it you didn't really watch which way the beads came off or which way you re-strung them?" Jack's voice was low and heavy.

"It wasn't high on our list of priorities," Bryant spoke up defensively.

Norrington placed a hand on his arm in reproach and waited.

Jack suddenly looked up and grinned at them.

"Oh well..." He shrugged and turned back to Beaumont and De Mornay placing the beads into his pocket.

"Beaumont." Jack grinned at them slyly "You're going to do all that's necessary to steer this ship towards the island and make berth there without so much as a scratch on her hull. Savvy?"

Beaumont looked at him silently for a few seconds, his eyes narrowing before he frowned at him.

"Give me the beads then."