Nell comes to decision

Beads of sweat slid down De Mornay's face although it had nothing to do with the overhead sun beating down and all to do with the expanse of sand that lay between him and the grass ahead.

"Keeping moving!"

He stumbled forwards as someone rammed a sword hilt into his back to make him move.

De Mornay hissed between his teeth and began to slow process of feeling the sand in front of him with the long plank taken from one of the rowing boats. He knew it wasn't really good enough to discover where the treacherous quicksand lay; but it was all he had. There had been no more time for him to discuss with Beaumont anything else. They had been forced to crawl on their knees to the waters edge for the quick service held over the dead pirate. He snorted contemptuously as he remembered and began to inch forward slowly, using the stick to prod the depths of the sand.

It was ridiculous in his mind to waste time and energy over a man who was dead and well on his way to hell. He knew that before they found the treasure Sparrow would be saying prayers for more of his crew and that thought alone buoyed him along as he inched his way slowly over the sand.

Several times his stick had found quicksand and only the rope tied around his waist had prevented him from sinking, but after a few hours they reached the safety of the grass banks that lead into the thick foliage at the base of the mountains.

He slumped beside Beaumont, having to use both hands to wipe his face as they were tied together. He looked out over the meandering footprints of the crew as they had weaved their way behind him.

Someone stopped beside them casting a shadow over them. They both looked up, surprised to see Nell stood holding two cups of water out to them.

"Ah, look. A ministering angel sent just for us," drawled Beaumont as he took the cup; both hands stretching up for it.

De Mornay looked up at her, his eyes squinting in the brightness of the sun. He took the cup silently and drank it down in one long draught.

"NELL!" A shout from behind them brought both their heads up again as they saw Jack Sparrow advancing on them angrily.

"You're for it now, lass," laughed De Mornay "Don't matter how warm you get him you can't disobey direct orders and expect to get away with it."

"If our lives weren't semi-dependant on your survival I'd let you die of thirst," she said coldly and backed off as Jack reached her. He gripped her upper arm and growled as he used his foot to send the now empty cups from their hands, bruising their hands with the force of his kick.  He didn't even look down at them; his black angry eyes were boring into Nell.  He dragged her back away from them.

"And here was me thinking I was Captain here!" Angry sarcasm dripped from between his clenched teeth. "Did you not hear what I said back at the shoreline?"

"We all need to drink, Jack," she said defiantly, unable to meet his eyes against the glare of the sun behind his head and because of the fury she knew she would see there.

"That's not what I asked you!" he snapped and none of his usual drunken slur was present. He dragged her away from the crouching prisoners and out of ear shot.

She looked up at him and saw just how angry with her he was. An answering bolt of anger went through her.

"They have to drink, Jack! You'll kill them and then what good will it do us? He lost far too much fluid walking across that sand and it had to be replaced quickly."

"Ah! Saint Nell is with us." He laughed but it wasn't humorous, it was hard and made her wince "An angel of mercy or perhaps the ship's doctor now?" his black eyes glistening angrily at her.