In the shadows

Chapter 40

In The Shadows

It was much later that Nell gathered the courage to leave the galley. She was still shocked and surprised by Bryant's words and actions, and it left her feeling a little overwhelmed. She made her way up onto the deck and was surprised to see the boats had been mended and were being loaded with the chests that had been brought up from the hold. She saw Jack organising the loading and crossed to him.

"Jack, do you want that emerald necklace back? It'll be safer here won't it?"

Jack looked round at where she had perched on a coil of rope and was watching the crew working.

"Nay, lass, I gave it to you, it's yours now. What do you want done with the rest of your share?"

Nell lifted her eyebrows at his question. She hadn't given it much thought really; even though he had made it clear she would still have a share, despite staying with him on the Pearl

"I don't know..." she shrugged. "I'd like to have some I suppose; I really could do with some decent clothes that aren't too big for me!" She grinned at him but he didn't return it. He just regarded her with dark serious eyes before looking back at where the crew finished loading the chests.

"I've left everyone's share in the hold, including the crews. We'll divide it when we reach Tortuga, you won't find much there... you need to go to Port Royal for that kind of thing."

"What about Aruba?" Nell didn't really fancy returning there, but she knew Port Royal was impossible for Jack.

"We're not heading that way again," Jack replied over his shoulder. "No, lass, Port Royal will provide whatever you need; Elizabeth will see you right and no doubt have you fitted out like a lady before you can blink."

"I don't want to be fitted out like a lady, Jack; I just want some britches that don't fall down if I take off the sash!"

"Ah, but you'd look so pretty in those dresses, Elizabeth favours. You're wasted in britches, lass, you let her take care of you and you'll do fine."

"But what about you?" Nell asked, growing more confused by his words.

"I find the waists too tight on the latest fashions, cuts off the circulation. Besides I'm not really taken with wearing dresses, tend to trip me up on the decks," he replied and the crew who he knew were listening laughed loudly.

Nell blushed and grinned at his words. "I didn't mean that, Jack. I meant taking the Pearl  into Port Royal."

"Won't happen, lass," he snorted. "I'll take the Pearl  into one of the other bays close by and drop you all off."

A cold chill filled Nell's heart as she looked at his back; the dirty red scarf was hanging down his back, the bandanna hidden by the tri-corner hat he wore; booted feet spread apart as he watched over the crew.

"Jack?" The uncertainty was clear in her voice and for several seconds she didn't think he was going to reply; but then he looked back over his shoulder at her.

"The Commodore may keep his word, but anyone in the port won't know he's aboard and they'll fire on us as soon as we come into view; I'll not risk that, Nell, not even to stop your britches falling down."

The crew roared with laughter once more and Nell reddened again before laughing herself, but more with relief than humour at his words. He turned and came back to crouch down in front of her.

"In fact, I've given this some thought, Nell darlin', and I've arrived at a conclusion which should suit us all, to a greater or lesser degree." His face was perfectly straight and his dark eyes were blank of any emotion at all. "Will and Elizabeth are in agreement with you staying with them in Port Royal for a while."