Confusion, Lies and Confession

A/N: Usual Disclaimer. Many thanks to AniSparrow for her undaunted work in correcting this....

Not much happens in the way of action, but I hope you still enjoy it....

"Nell? I'm sorry," Bryant's voice sounded far away as Nell's brain tried to comprehend all she had seen. The villagers in the clearing faded to leave nothing but empty space and leaving Nell feeling stunned and confused.

"Nell?" Bryant tugged on her hand and the shaft of pain in her abused muscles brought her round slightly. She looked at her him, her mind busy working over everything she now knew or at least what she thought she'd known. There was only one way she could clear this up and that was to talk to Beaumont. But how could she do that without bringing attention on herself; and how would she know whether what he was saying was the truth. And there was the rub – somewhere truth had been muddied, kicked about, until Nell thought there wasn't any left at all.

"Nell, tell me what you're thinking," Bryant's voice soft and persuasive cut into her thoughts and she looked at him sharply.

"Thinking?" She tried to keep her voice level and calm.

"It might help, if you let me know what you're seeing or feeling here," he said and squeezed her hand gently. "I know you're finding it hard and I haven't distracted you well enough this time. Maybe talking about it will," he spoke softly and sincerely.

"Actually I was trying hard not to think," she replied quietly; the relief from leaving the village was dulled by the knowledge that lay in her mind now.

They crossed the boundaries of the village and once again went past the many traps set by the islanders. Nell frowned as they walked still holding his hand, taking comfort from his presence beside her.

"Mister Bryant," Jack's slur came from directly behind them making them both turn to look at him. He half bowed to Bryant, his palms pressed together against his chin. "Give me a moment with Nell."

Bryant nodded and looked at Nell, smiling briefly before he moved on to walk with Norrington who was up ahead with Dwent. Jack placed his hand on Nell's back and urged her to carry on walking with him.

"What's wrong?" she asked him, aware of Hock walking close behind them.

"Nothing."  He grinned at her before moving his hand away from her back and resting it on the handle of his pistol. They were almost back at the river where they would have to walk single file and he had things to say and ask before they were forced to part. "How's your shoulder feeling?"

"Sore," she replied. "But not nearly as sore as before Hock put it back in for me. I don't want to repeat that again though." She shuddered, but it wasn't the pain that made her shudder but the thought that Jack had nearly dropped to his death.

"Yes, well, it would appear that I'm not as invincible as I thought, eh?" he grinned again and his voice held its usual slur but his eyes were sharp as he glanced at her expression.

Nell coloured up at his words, remembering her earlier outburst. "I'm..."

"Don't say you're sorry, Nell." He shook his head, his beads swinging around his face. "To be sure, I've told you before, I like your sharp tongue and when you go all hot and fiery on me..." He shrugged. "But that's not where I'm wanting to go at the moment. Nell, I've spoken to Will and Elizabeth about Beaumont and De Mornay. I just wanted to hear your side of it, sometimes another perspective helps."

Nell faltered every so slightly. "What about them?" she asked carefully.

Jack flung his hand out in front of him, his wrist circling as he spoke. "Well, whatever you saw really, or remember, or..." He frowned and pulled at the braids on his chin. "Well, whatever it is you can do now."