CHAPTER 4:ALYA

"Alya beta, apne jo bhi mangvaya who sab maine aapke room mai rakvadiya," said Sharma Uncle, my dad's PA.

"Haan Sharma ji, thank you," I replied, heading to my room to check the dresses. It was both mine and Alex's outfits for the wedding. We were leaving for the palace tonight where the wedding rituals would take place, so last-minute checking was necessary. I decided I should inform Alex to try his clothes on before we packed them, in case any alterations were needed.

I headed to Alex's room, only to find it empty. As I stepped inside, the memories of the tension from the morning washed over me. The room still held the faint scent of his cologne, and I could almost feel the ghost of our moments together, but I had managed to pull myself together then. Standing there alone now, the air seemed thick with unspoken words and unresolved feelings.

Shaking off the lingering emotions, I went downstairs to ask Sharma Ji.

"Where did Alex go, Sharma ji?"

"Usne kaha he will be back by 9, beta," he replied.

Nine, seriously? We were supposed to leave soon. Frustrated, I went to Dad's room. "Dad, let's leave. Alex isn't here."

"Alya, we can't do that. Alex has never been to India before. Even though there's a driver, he'll feel left out. So, you stay here and come with him. Elizabeth and I will go ahead, check into the palace, and take your rooms too," Dad said convincingly.

"Okay, Dad," I said, conceding. After 15 minutes, they left, and I was alone, waiting.

Time seemed to crawl as I waited, my frustration growing with each passing minute. Finally, at 10, Alex arrived, looking so relaxed that it infuriated me.

"Is this the time to come home? You know we have to leave for the venue by 7 today. I waited so long, and you didn't even answer my calls, I left you 45 messages, did you check anything?" I snapped, unable to hold back my irritation.

Alex looked at me, taken aback by my outburst. His casual demeanor faltered for a moment as he registered the anger and disappointment in my eyes. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, looking genuinely remorseful.

"Alya, I got caught up with something important," he said, his voice softening. "I am sorry"

His words, combined with the genuine concern in his eyes, caught me off guard. I didn't expect Alex to apologize; I thought he would argue or be rude. It was too unexpected. Seeing him being genuinely sorry melted away my anger. It wasn't just the words, but the way he said them, the look in his eyes that conveyed sincerity. 

I felt I had overreacted. His reaction was so genuine and concerning, as if he didn't understand why I was so upset and was truly sorry for making me wait. My anger began to dissolve as I processed his apology. I could see that he wasn't trying to make excuses or deflect blame. He was simply apologizing, acknowledging my frustration. I was actually taken back.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. "It's okay. Just don't make me wait again," I said softly, trying to ease the heavy tension that still hung in the air.

"I wont, I promise, I am sorry," he said gently.

"Can we leave now? The driver has been waiting for so long," I said with a little laugh.

"Yeah, give me a second. I will just grab my bag," Alex replied, his voice clipped but tinged with a hint of relief.

"No need, I have asked them to keep your bag in the trunk already," I said, managing a smile.

"Oh, cool then. After you," he said, stepping aside to make space for me to walk past. His gesture was polite, but his gruff demeanor remained. He was trying, though, and I appreciated that.

For Alex, the realization of how much his actions had affected me seemed to weigh heavily. His usually aloof demeanour was replaced with a focused attentiveness. He was trying to bridge the gap, even if he didn't fully understand how.

As the car drove on, I glanced at Alex. His profile was illuminated by the passing streetlights, and I could see how amazing he looked in the silence admits all this. He turned to me and offered a small, almost reluctant smile. It was a rare gesture, one that made me so happy.

In that moment, a realization struck me. I had been so wrong about him. The grumpy, distant attitude wasn't who he truly was. It was a shield, a defence he had built over years of carrying heavy responsibilities at too early age.

Alex had grown up too quickly, forced to take on roles he wasn't prepared for, all to protect and provide for his sister. The coldness, I had seen in him in our first meet was his way of coping with the world. But I realise now beneath all that, there is a sweet, caring man who is always looking out for those he loved.

I know now that Alex wasn't trying to be arrogant or rude. He was simply someone who had learned to hide his heart. But his actions and his words, I could see the kindness and warmth he tried to show, towards me from very beginning. He was trying, in his own way. And I understood that Alex was trying his best to meet me halfway, since we met.