CHAPTER 17: ALYA

How dare he? As I stormed back to my room, frustration boiled within me like a tempestuous storm. Each step felt heavy, laden with the weight of my emotions. My heart raced, and my mind was blasting.

Entering my room, I felt as though the walls were closing in on me, suffocating me with their oppressive presence. I sank onto my bed, the softness offering little solace as tears welled up in my eyes.

How could Alex, say such things to me? My chest constricted with the weight of my emotions, the pain of our argument cutting deep into my soul.

I had thought that moving to New York would be a fresh start, a chance to leave behind the pain of the past and forge a new future with Dev. But now, all I felt was a sense of emptiness, a hollow ache from past that seemed to consume me from the inside out.

The memory of Alex's words echoed in my mind, each one a painful reminder of my own insecurities and fears. Do I really not love Dev? I couldn't bear to entertain the thought.

As the tears continued to fall, I felt the weight of my pain pressing down on me, threatening to engulf me completely. I curled up on my bed, seeking refuge from the storm of emotions raging inside me.

When I woke up the next morning, I found my pillow wet with my tears from last night. Determination surged through me as I made a silent vow to myself: I would never let Alex affect me again. Whatever he wanted to do, whatever he said, it wouldn't matter. I know I love Dev, and he was my future.

After composing myself, I got ready for the office and made my way downstairs. There, I found Alex eating breakfast, newspaper in hand, clad in his tailored Italian suit.

"Up already?" he asked casually, though there was a hint of concern in his voice. But I knew better than to be fooled by his facade. It was Alex, after all.

I didn't bother answering him. Instead, I headed to the kitchen to make myself a coffee. As I poured the hot liquid into the mug, his words from last night echoed in my mind: "I will prove it." I was determined to prove him wrong.

Turning to face him, I squared my shoulders and met his gaze head-on. "Prove it," I challenged, my voice firm with determination.

"Alya, no, I said that in the heat—" he began, but I cut him off.

"No, for real. Prove it. Prove that I don't love Dev," I insisted, my tone unwavering.

"Look, yes, I know you don't love Dev, but—" he started to explain, but I interrupted him.

"What do you mean you know? I know that I love Dev, so prove it otherwise," I demanded, my voice rising with each word.

"But if you couldn't, move out and never show yourself again..." I said.

"Alya—" he tried to speak, but I didn't want to hear it. With a swift motion, I grabbed my bag and stormed out the door, leaving him behind without a second glance.

As I made my way to my office, determination fueled my steps. I refused to let Alex's presence unsettle me any longer. The memory of our confrontation lingered in my mind, but I pushed it aside, focusing on the task at hand.

As I entered my cabin, Casy, greeted me with excitement. "Babe, you won't believe who just walked in! Alex Hall! Oh my god, he is so hot! I always talked with him on phone but never saw him but oh my god, he is definition of sexy. I wish I could just throw myself at him," she exclaimed, her eyes shining with admiration.

"He's an ass," I muttered under my breath, unable to hide my disdain.

Casy chuckled. "You know him?"

"He's my stepmom's brother." I replied.